Friday 13 May 2011

On The Road

(First published in Percy Main v Killingworth programme 11/05/11)

Well, that’s all for this season folks! Not my rambling or even the programme as there’s still Rutherford to come, but away games; Monday’s trip to Stocksfield was our last road trip of 2010/2011. I can’t really comment on the match as firstly I’m writing this before the game takes place and secondly I’m not going to be able to get there anyway. However I did get to 17 of the 22 other away games we played this campaign and so here is my mini travelogue of 2010/2011.

Back in July we began with a 2-0 friendly win over East End, played at the Langdale Centre. Jason was in goal, but as I was sunning myself in Bilbao, I can’t comment on his performance. Norman and I made the next friendly, away to Pelton Buffs and a good performance on a gloriously sunny night saw us beat a strong team 3-1. The competitive stuff started in mid-August with a 1-1 draw at Killingworth, when I managed to pour milk in to my Bovril; not nice, but better than the rancid coffee I had instead. The Saturday after saw the legendary backs to the wall 1-0 win away to Carlisle City, which is just about the proudest I’ve been to follow Percy Main. As a non-driver I rely on lifts a lot and Geordie Mooney is often my saviour; he took me to Delaval the next week for my first visit in a 2-2 draw and what a lovely ground it is too.

On to September and we had a cracking win over Ponteland in the Challenge Cup, that I managed to get to after playing at Billingham in the morning. Good job my over 40s side has some posh lads playing for it who live Darras Hall way and could give me a lift. At Rutherford at the end of September, I made it to see Ashley Smyth’s debut winner courtesy of Wilka, who saw me struggling up Lobley Hill with my bag of dirty kit and took pity on me. Thanks Shaun!

Geordie Mooney took me to Ashington Colliers, where we won 2-1 while listening to the crowd chanting as their first team stuffed Bishop Auckland 4-0. I missed my first away trip of the season to Alnwick on the weekend the clocks went back, taking in Heaton Stann’s 3-1 win over Ponteland instead. It was frustrating, but so was the weather after that as snow, ice, rain and whatever stopped us playing until early January. On the 8th, we won 4-2 at Killingworth in the Challenge Cup and instead of Bovril I drank a McDonald’s coffee, courtesy of Geoff. At Seaton Delaval a fortnight later we lost on penalties in the Cup semi-final. I’m glad it went to extra time as a delayed bus meant I had to take a taxi, costing £13, in order to see this game. I didn’t get to Amble the week after, being forced to watch Willington Quay Saints 3 Red House Farm 5 in the Alliance Division 2, as the weather put paid to all other local fixtures. Great game it was too!

The trip to Harraby was a long one and we were well beaten, but there was great hospitality and truly terrible Scotch pies, which is why we never saw Hendrix Ekwen again I suppose. I didn’t make it to Blyth Town, watching Team Northumbria trounce Hebburn 4-0 instead, but I was at Shankhouse for the amazing 6-4 win in the kind of fog that Basil Rathbone inhabits. The game was so good we didn’t even watch the young leotarded ladies in the Zumba class in the adjacent community centre, which provided a joyful Salsa soundtrack to our win. I missed the victory at Wark to watch Newcastle University defeat Heddon in the Combination Cup semi, then nipped down for the second half of Benfield 4 Jarrow Roofing 0.

In April, the games came thick and fast. We lost 3-1 at Heaton Stann in the cup and I paid £5 for two, admittedly very nice, coffees for Geoff and me from the nearby Dean & Daniela Italian bistro. Nine days later we lost 2-1 in the League and I arrived at half time, missing all our best play. At Ponteland, I saw evidence of the kind of underage drinking problem they have in those parts, with empty bottles of pink Cava strewn around, rather than white cider so popular in these parts. Geordie took me to Cramlington and I wish he’d not bothered, though they sold lovely coffee in the clubhouse. At Walker the post-match buffet was like a wedding reception and made us forget about the match as we munched on white chocolate millionaire shortbread, while at Murton we turned up before they had unlocked the ground and I had to ask the ref if I could use his loo as there weren’t any others!

So, there you go; 2010/2011, the highs and lows of travelling to watch Percy Main. Roll on 2011/2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment