Friday 2 July 2021

Options

 I accidentally saw my first football game of the season last week; where will I go next?


At some point during the week beginning Monday 12th July, I’ll post a blog about my take on the European Championships. However, that shouldn’t be seen as any indication I’ll be watching much live football from that point onwards, as I won’t be; at least not at weekends. We’re only halfway through the cricket season you see, with 11 Saturdays still dedicated to the unfolding of the 2021 NEPL, and thus the summer game will have my unbroken attention until and including 11th September, when Tynemouth end their campaign with a visit to Whitburn’s beautiful Village Ground.

That said, plans sometimes have to be changed. For instance, Saturday 26th June did not involve the expected annual trip to Roseworth Terrace and a game against South North. The rain that fell incessantly from Thursday evening for the next 48 hours put paid to that one. Indeed, all cricket in the area was off and so I did what any sensible soul would have done and took in some football instead; FC United of Newcastle versus the reanimated and potentially revitalised Percy Main Amateurs at the Langdale Centre.  I’d guess there were around 40 spectators, swathed in warm coats and thick hoodies against the worst of the midsummer monsoon, who saw a good, competitive encounter for at least the first hour. Sadly, fitness and injury issues restricted the home team and the newly fashioned Percy Main squad ran out 5-1 winners, which flattered them a bit. What I took away from proceedings was the superb performances from the respective number 4s and that Wallsend mud can wreck your trainers even with July around the corner.

It’s early days yet, but I’m looking forward to seeing a load more Percy Main games this season, seeing as I’ve stumped up for a season ticket at Purvis Park as part of the PMA 1919 scheme, whereby a donation of £19.19 will grant you admittance to all home fixtures. Follow this link and find out more: https://www.gofundme.com/f/the-1919-scheme?utm_source=customer&utm_medium=copy_link_all&utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet 

To be frank it’s a good job I’ve got the cricket and Percy Main to focus on, as the hand of friendship hasn’t exactly been extended by many other participants in the local game. News has just came through that I’m still not welcome at Benfield, which continues to break my heart and had me as emotionally low as the aftermath of last year’s Co-Op incident. What can you do though? Grit my teeth and ask again next year is my plan at this moment in time. They are my team and I’d give anything to be allowed to watch them again. Of course, Ben field aren’t alone in barring their entrance gates to me; Guisborough Town and North Shields remain resolute in their opposition to me. That’s fine really, as I’m not be bothered if I never set foot in either of those grounds again in my life; Heaton Stannington as well where, contrary to lies spread by the usual suspects, I’ve not been declared persona non grata.

It does rile me that I’ve been blocked by the Northern Alliance Twitter feed; though I do know it isn’t anyone from the Committee who has made this capricious and mercurial decision. I think I’ll have a word with them to try and get this overturned, especially as it was for the heinous crime of dissenting from the Alliance’s decision to play all of the end of season Cup finals behind closed doors, by replying to one of the full time reports with “most importantly, nobody got to see any of it.” Strange isn’t it? I write so effusively about the Alliance and always mention how much I love it, and then this happens. 

Mind, I’ve also had cause to complain about the conduct of certain accounts on Twitter. I’ve made some good contacts with Redheugh B of the North East Combination League, but their Alliance side have been on the warpath since I described their game against Newcastle Independent (aka Jesmond) as a bit dull. In the end, I had a word with the Redheugh main account, who gave the Alliance lot a wrap across the knuckles and now everything is sorted, without need to take it to the Durham FA.

Sadly, on account of one two personally abusive comments by Newcastle Independent players, I was forced to complain to the Northumberland FA after their club declined to respond to my request they bring these fellows into line. As a result one player was charged with improper conduct and the other warned as to his future behaviour. It’s such a shame that representatives of a successful and expanding club (with a new team in Alliance D3 for next season) let themselves down so badly. I also was on the end of quite an offensive tweet by Walkergate FC, but that is an on-going situation and I’d rather say nothing about it at this time.

So, where else am I going to be watching football next season? In the Northern League, there is only 1 totally new ground; Redcar Town’s Mo Mowlam Stadium, where Division 2’s newcomers are based. The other two new entrants, or rather re-entrants, Blyth Town and Horden, have long been ticked off; Horden as far back as April 1996. Also in Division 2, Sunderland West End and Washington are sharing the redeveloped Ford Hub. I’ve been before, to see a Wearside League Cup final on a Baltic May Day, but will pop by again. Similarly, East Palmersville Pavilion has long been known as the home of Forest Hall FC, but recent developments have now transformed it into the new, permanent home of West Allotment Celtic and so I’d best get back there again, probably on a non-cricket midweek before the season starts because of its proximity.

In the Alliance, as well as the upwardly mobile Blyth Town, we’ve said goodbye to Morpeth Town Reserves and Wooler, while East End Reserves are now playing under the name of Walker Central, at Monkchester, and West Jesmond are West Moor and Jesmond, playing at West Moor.  There are thus 5 new entrants: Alnwick Town Development (St James’ Park), Fawdon (Druids’ Park) and Newcastle Independent Cabrito (Coach Lane) all playing at grounds I’ve been to before. The other two neophytes, Bedlington United (Blyth Sporting Club) and Whickham Under 23s (Whickham School) provide new opportunities, as do Ponteland United and Ponteland Reserves, at the former High School. Let’s just hope they relax their no spectators policy fairly soon. Of course, there’s still a chance Bedlington FC will go back to their nomadic ways, or the Hebburn U23s will use Clegwell 4G, especially if the first team are at home. We await news as to whether Burradon and New Fordley will continue at the John Willie Sams Centre or return to Burradon School.

Elsewhere, the Wearside League now boasts 3 divisions. I’ve visited 6 grounds in the top one, 4 plus 2 repeats in the middle league and 6 repeats in the basement, but only Coxhoe and Richmond remotely interest me in going south of the Tyne for a football fix. The presence of AFC Durham, Durham FC, Durham Corinthians (and Reserves), Durham County and Durham United shows the effect of Durham City’s implosion over the last few years. Still, nice to see a reformed Shotton Comrades in there and Murton’s ground being used, though what state it is in, I’m frightened to think. Closer to home the North East Combination League will run with 3 divisions next season. As yet, the website doesn’t include ground locations, but Hazlerigg, New York and Walkergate are absolute musts for me.

There are still plenty of other grounds to be visited; after being stuck in one location for so long, I yearn for the adventure of a train ride to a different city. In England, I’d love to visit: Barrow, Burton, Spurs, Sutton, FC United or even Ossett United. In Scotland, there are 20 grounds left on my SPFL list; I’ve got to get to Ayr, Cove, Motherwell and Peterhead sometime soon. Thankfully, there’s annual leave booked for the weeks beginning 9th August and 27th September. I’ll use it wisely.





No comments:

Post a Comment