Tuesday 7 July 2015

No Redemption


On July 1st, something astonishing happened to me. A panel of distinguished medical professionals made the announcement that, in their judgement, I should be protected under the 2010 Equality Act (replacing the 2005 Disability Discrimination Act) as I have been suffering from a medical condition so severe that it has had a profound, repeated and long term effect on my life in the past, does so in the present and, as far as can be reasonably foreseen, will continue to do so in the future. While I would never seek to define myself as disabled, this judgement means that I am, legally, a vulnerable adult, which is a status I will bear for the rest of my life in all probability.

My condition is related to my mental health. As a result of the repeated physical and sexual abuse I suffered as a child from my father and other men in my close family and his friendship group, as well as my mother and one other female, I have spent my entire life plagued by feelings of worthlessness and inadequacy, with an unshakeable belief I’d be better off dead, that have profoundly affected my interactions with both genders.  As the report says -:

Ian recognises that many men frighten him, particularly if they are confident “alpha male” individuals, as he perceives them as potentially aggressive or confrontational. He describes his feelings of fear when close to such individuals as overwhelming. His levels of anxiety remain high. In my opinion, these are connected to trauma he experienced as a child which has left him with long standing and deeply entrenched feelings of low self-esteem, poor self-confidence, lack of personal value and rage. The key to Ian’s recovery will be his capacity to unlearn ingrained responses and negative patterns of thought that he has lived with and repeated for decades and consistently and reliably replace them with positive, adult alternatives. These will take practice.

To reiterate; I do not see myself as disabled, but having endured serious bouts of mental ill health from the age of 16 onwards, I am delighted that I have medical and legal protection, to help me move forward. The realisation that I have a long-standing fear of aggressive, confrontational males explains almost everything in my life so far. I have always sought to have the last word and stand up to what I perceive is bullying, not with my fists but with words, as I see something of my father and the repeated years of vile abuse he inflicted on me. It is something I’ve never been particularly successful with.

This explanation, which I will need to explore further in the years of psychotherapy that lie ahead, occurred to me when cycling through from High Heaton to Tynemouth, as I tried to count up just how many people I have ever been engaged in some sort of ultimately meaningless on-line and real life feud with.  You’ll not be surprised to know I lost count, though the most crucial points to note about these people is that they’re either fans of Newcastle United, non-league football, or both, or they’re related to me. Generally they are working class and aggressive as well.

I’ve been here before.  I had my first episode of mental ill health in 1981, when I attempted to take my life because I could not endure any more abuse from my parents and their circle. All I ever wanted in my early life was protection, or intervention; many people in my extended family knew of the abuse (indeed several of them were enthusiastic participants in it), but not one of them sought to protect me. On being discharged from hospital, with bandaged wrists and a burning throat from reflux occasioned by the stomach pump  used to get the tablets I’d taken out of my system, my father beat me up in the Queen Elizabeth car park. Back in the house he smashed my head off the television stand and hit me in the testicles with a golf putter. Ever wondered why I’m terrified of bald men? I’ve not even mentioned the time he punched me so hard it broke the fence between our house and next door when I crashed through it.

My previous episode of mental ill health began in 1994 when I learned I was to become a father, as received wisdom held at that time that all those who were abused become abusers. Thankfully, I have broken the circle and have been a good father to my son, though I believe it took until 1999 for me to recover sufficiently to function as human being, which was when I left Newcastle, forever or so I thought at the time. What I have come to realise is that I’ve never really recovered and have always been at a constant, though fluctuating, level of mental illness; hence why the Equality Act applies to me.

Back in 1994, I wanted to die; I really did. I had just turned 30 and I found the world to be empty, meaningless and utterly without value. I hated myself and my life; had profound feelings of failure and self-loathing, repeatedly thought of death as the only escape. This was, to those on the outside, baffling and inexplicable as I had it good; newly married to a wonderful woman, soon to be a father, living in a nice house, with a good job and a wide circle of friends. However, I simply couldn’t cope; the pervasive sense of my worthlessness (ingrained by years of abuse) made me feel like I was an imposter and I wanted to escape. I wanted to stop being me. Believe me, I tried. Despite the love, support and help of those around me, not to mention medical intervention that extended as far as psychiatry and psychotherapy, all that was good about my life melted away. It took until the late spring of 1999 when I finally accepted that I didn’t need to die. I may have been worthless, evil and beneath contempt, in the eyes of both me and many people who knew me, but I deserved to live a while longer, though how and where was another question.

In the last Summer of the Millennium, marked by a total solar eclipse  on my 35th  birthday, I had divested myself of my family, my job, my home, most of my friends and my season ticket and taken myself across the Irish Sea for a month to try and gain a sense of perspective on my next move. The inescapable conclusion I came to was that I needed to disappear and turn the lights out on my past, forever. I returned home to make a funeral pyre of all the tatty emotional wreckage of my life. Before getting away forever, or so I thought, I wrote what appeared to be a social suicide note that appeared in The Sunday Sun on September 12th 1999. Many people would have preferred to slip silently away, but my trademark lack of control and judgement, as well as an almost pathological need to be hated by others to reflect my own self-loathing, meant I felt compelled towards making a grand, futile gesture. I did this as I wanted it to mark a complete and total break with the past and all my previous relationships and connections on Tyneside. Nobody ever started on me for writing this, but it went down rather badly with a whole raft of NUFC fans when, much to my amazement, I arrived back in Newcastle and had to face up to it.

Now, almost 16 years on, it’s out the closet again, in the shape of a series of complaints against me, some of which have merit, though others are fanciful nonsense, that resulted in me being summoned to attend a tribunal of NUST committee members to discuss these allegations. It appeared I may have been expelled from an organisation I joined voluntarily and to which I paid an annual subscription of £10. Do I have any defence for my words? No. Do I wish it had not been made public again? Obviously. Anything to say in mitigation? Not really; it was stupid and ill-judged, but when I wrote it, I knew what my motivations were for saying those things. Did I mean them? Of course not; I’m sure even then anyone who knew me could understand my bizarre motivation. The impact I’d wanted was to leave a mark in the consciousness of all those who knew me, as I prepared to depart Newcastle forever on the 6am train to Kings Cross on Saturday 18th September 1999 (next stop Orient 0 Torquay 2). I hated myself (I’ve always had next to zero self-esteem and can’t remember a time in my life when I didn’t loathe and despise myself) and wanted everyone else to hate me too. While I’m disappointed at this letter becoming public knowledge again, I would wonder who hasn’t said something foolish or ill-judged a decade and a half ago.

That sunny morning, as I kissed my son and my soon to be ex-wife goodbye on the platform, I thought I was saying farewell forever, as I didn’t imagine for one second that I was ever coming back. But I did come back and, somehow, I rebuilt my life. I had 3 peripatetic years of being vulnerably housed and vulnerably employed, living out of holdalls in towns and cities where I knew no-one and could live anonymous and ignored; London, Dublin, Bournemouth, Oxford, Slough and York, which felt like coming home almost.

Serendipitously, I returned, which was the right thing to do; the young boy who’d just started reception when I waved him goodbye was coming up 7 and had been bitten by the Newcastle United bug. He needed me in his life and I needed him in mine; I haven’t been a perfect father by any stretch of the imagination, but I’ve loved him unconditionally and I’m very proud of the way he has turned out. In time, I got a new home, a new job, a new partner and reconciled myself with many members of my family as well as a section of my old friends, who’ll tell you what a nice bloke I am. I recognise, accept and regret that there’s a horrible, nasty, unpleasant Mr Hyde side to my personality that makes me reviled and hated for the horrible things I’ve said and done to a whole range of people who’ve done nothing other than disagree with me, or prevent me from having my own way, either on line or in real life.

In essence, I respond badly to anyone standing up to me; I always have to be right and I always have to have the last word. Emotionally, I am still the little boy who suffered years of abuse from my parents and other men and women in my extended family, as well as my father’s network. The only way I found to “cope,” or so I mistakenly thought, was to try and outdo the strong men I feared so much. I tried to “stand up” for myself, by dishing out abuse, in a horrible way and seemingly without any awareness or insight, much less care, for the other person’s emotions. Consequently, the wave of obloquy and approbation I was forced to endure seems part of a perfect storm where all my chickens have come home to roost, at the very time I would hope to be able to avoid any further conflict. Trouble is; I’m reaping what I sowed. During the period 2002 to 2007, I was a keyboard terrorist, inhabiting the fetid waters of messageboards in the time before Twitter came on the scene.

Why did I behave in a manner that would appal and disgust anyone who knew me? Either because I am genetically and inherently evil, or because my ability to deal with stress and conflict had not recovered from the 1994-1999 episode of mental ill-health. I found that I couldn’t rationalise or gain any sort of perspective in cyber space; I simply could not allow anyone to have the last word and would not allow what I saw as illogicality or stupidity to go unchallenged. This brought me endless hours, days, months of conflict and a massive array of grudges and feuds with people in front of keyboards elsewhere in the world. These people were not real to me; it was as if I was arguing with a machine, like some kind of weird game of verbal chess. Not for one second did I contemplate these people had opinions or feelings; all I was concerned about was me getting the last word. At the time, I felt it was a way of dealing with stress, which was crazy. Why didn’t I go for a walk or read a book? I don’t know; perhaps I was almost addicted to both the internet and to conflict. In effect, what I was actually doing to my mental health was adding to my stress levels and upsetting innocent people. I said some vile things to supporters of various teams and eventually, once I gained an insight into the very real effect it could have on people after I was attacked in The Bodega by a Newcastle United fan, in front of my son, I began to extricate myself in late February 2007, though the scars and relics of my terrible legacy of bile still exist. I have no defence about this set of activities either.

Now, I’d guess at some level I’ve always been argumentative, or disputatious about anything and everything; music, politics and books are as important to me as football and the interpretation of such topics is obviously far more contentious and personal than the events of a football match. This is presumably why I’ve always been enduringly fascinated by the sociological and political aspects of football culture, rather than the actual minutiae of how the game is played. Because I’ve spent so much of my life discussing recondite interpretations of literary texts with other effete bourgeois pseudo intellectuals, this is why I’ve always struggled to deal with ordinary, working class men. This attitude may sound simply like snobbery, but I’m convinced it has a clear psychological basis in the fact I am unconsciously standing up to my late father, who repeatedly abused me up to the age of 21.

My father was a weak man; a violent, dictatorial bully who treated me like a dog. He made it clear he owned me; I had no right to personal freedom, in a physical or mental sense. Certainly these days his conduct and that of his co-abusers would not have been tolerated in normal society. They would be in jail.  He never allowed me to have opinions of my own, he belittled every single aspect of my life and he assaulted on a weekly basis, but I forgave him because he was coerced into this behaviour by my mam, whose sexual abuse of me is simply too horrific for me to detail here, and because I had no choice but to love him. It occurred to me that there may be some dreadful relevance to the fact that the other female who sexually abused me on the instructions of my mother, organised for my parents to stay at the infamous Dolphin Square complex several times in the 1990s and early 2000s. This female also went on record, saying the following -:
  1.  November 2, 2011 at 2:03 pm # 
    Sir Jimmy Savile was an early influence on me. I noted his connection to Stoke Mandeville Hospital when I was four. I didn’t realise he fundraised for the hopsital. I thought he was a doctor and was impressed by the way he held down two jobs: doctor and DJ! Sir Jim inspired me to declare “when I grow up I want to be a ballerina nurse!” I wanted to entertain as well as look after patients in hospital.

Bearing this is mind, it is no surprise that our corner of Felling was infused by Stockholm Syndrome. Relatively late in his life, my dad and I were reconciled and he was a wonderful grandfather, but the damage had been done on my psyche. My entire life has been blighted by the abuse I suffered. It seems obvious to me that the reason I seek out conflict with strong, aggressive male types, often in authority, is because I see in them something of my father and I suppose I am unconsciously expecting to suffer the same kind of abuse as I suffered for the first couple of decades of my life. Because all I knew in my childhood was hatred, intimidation and aggression; all I understand is hatred and aggression. Because I hate myself, I behave in a way that invites those I find myself in conflict with to also hate me.

My dad died the day after Bobby Robson and was buried on the day before my 45th birthday, 10 years after my infamous letter in The Sunday Sun. The day of the funeral, I promised my mother I’d look after her and she’d never end up in care. At first, my mam did really well to look after herself, but by 2011 it became clear she was getting old and needed help. She may have been a monster of a parent; an evil, perverted, callous sociopath, but she was the only mother I was ever going to have. I didn’t forgive her (I never will), but I put it to the back of my mind and dedicated myself to helping her, in her absence of any other living relatives prepared to talk to her. 

The situation was exacerbated by her living in Swalwell and me at the coast, but not driving. I did my best, triangulating three times a week between Tynemouth, High Heaton and Swalwell, often by bicycle, but I was fighting a losing battle. Back then I really ought to have sought help for her, in terms of carers and me, in terms of support groups or social services, but I struggled along. Now I wish I hadn’t; instead of putting on a brave face in the real world and a sneering scowl on line, I should have had the self-awareness to call a halt to things and ask for help. Unfortunately, when one is mentally ill, self-awareness is in scant supply. For almost the entire period since my mother started to need a higher level of care, I feel as if I have not been in control of how I live my life. Ironically, it has taken until that same state of affairs has involved my mother before I am able to start addressing the enormity of the problems I have. Now she lives in a secure nursing home with a sea view on the border of Cullercoats and Whitley Bay. I hope she is happy there. I am sure I will never fully know if she is or not.

I am now faced with the task of saying goodbye to someone who is not dead; someone with whom I had a difficult and fractious relationship for most of my life. Someone who will never, ever apologise to me for all the terrible things she did to me, because she doesn’t (or didn’t) feel she did anything wrong. She told me that as my mother, she was entitled to use inappropriate sexual contact with me as a means of control. Grief and loss are profound emotions; ones that affect the strongest of personalities. Those of you reading this who have already been there will presumably understand what I’m talking about. It would be fair to say my relationship with my mother was made by my dad’s death. Since then, we’ve learned to love and respect each other, in a way that hadn’t been possible before, though I will never be able to reconcile the encouragement she gave to my father when he abused me and the level of sexual satisfaction she gained from observing him abusing me, or her own actions, performed for her own sexual gratification as well as my utter and absolute humiliation. The other female involved in the sexual abuse with my mother did so for reasons of my mother’s control over her, rather than her own sexual gratification. However, I am now considering, in the light of the Crown Prosecution Service's decision to revisit the case of Sir Greville Janner, whether I ought to inform the police of the sexual abuse I endured from my mother and her accomplice. My father and all of the men in his circle, or so I understand, are dead and thus beyond prosecution.

At the same time as I attempted to grasp the enormity of my mother’s departure and my own health problems, every single thing I’ve done wrong over the past however many years has been regurgitated. The motivation for this is  a moot point and in many ways irrelevant. Certainly it isn’t very pleasant to be on the receiving end, forced to face up to the consequences of my activities over the years, and it undoubtedly added to my stress levels and delayed my recovery as I lived in terror at the revelation of the next skeleton from my cupboard.

There is no point in explaining or defending my actions.  This is an end game. I offer no empty apologies and accept I have no option other than to resign from NUST, while continuing to receive medical and psychiatric help for my conditions, in the hope I can live out my remaining years as a more self-aware person. I am 50; I rebuilt my life once previously. I crave indulgence that I am not required to do so again.

Those who seek restitution in whatever form they wish may contact me via email on iancusack@blueyonder.co.uk or by phone





No comments:

Post a Comment