Friday 31 July 2015

17 Green Fields (And Counting): Part 2

I'm just back from my annual trip to the Old Country. One of the highlights was a trip with the Shelbourne supporters' club to see their team win in Waterford. That outing will form part of next week's blog. In the meantime, here's the second part of an article that I wrote for their fanzine Red Inc, which will be available from 31st July, starting with their home game against Wexford Youths -:


In my first article, I explained my love affair with Irish football, as a Geordie part of the Irish diaspora, as a kid living in Newcastle and as a student in County Derry. In this one, I detail my travels around the League of Ireland.

Once I’d finished university, I had a year kicking around in London, before doing a postgraduate course in Leeds and then ending up back where I started in time for the 1988/1989 season. I purchased my first NUFC season ticket in the newly opened Milburn Stand, saw us win only 3 home games all season (1 on a Saturday) and finish bottom.  Grand; especially as I’d missed most of the promotion season in 83/84 when I’d first moved away. The tone was set for the campaign when Tony Cottee scored after 32 seconds of his debut as Everton tore us apart 4-0 on the opening day and didn’t get appreciably better from there on in. However, I found a great way of dealing with disappointment; instead of just drowning myself in gargle, I wrote about my angst in fanzines, such as The Mag, which published 283 issues from 1988 until 2014. I wrote for it and hundreds of other fan publications and, during the period of contraction when many fanzines went either to the wall or on-line following the digital revolution of the past decade or so, I resolutely kept the flame going. These days, like with vinyl records, there has been a renaissance in print media in England, even if it is still a niche market, with several great publications on the go, like Duck from Stoke, West Stand Bogs from Barnsley, general ones like The Football Pink and Stand, not to mention a certain NUFC publication called The Popular Side (@PopularSideZine) that I’m involved with.

One of the best things fanzines do is to bring fans of different clubs together; these days it’s done via Twitter (which is how I got chatting to Barry), but years ago, people used to send letters. In summer 1993, we got one at The Mag from a fella in County Kildare, though a native of Boyle in the County Roscommon, who told of the Irish NUFC supporters club and his support for the club going back to 1975. Now after I finished university, I went back to the north for a couple of nostalgic visits in summer 88 and 89, but with no Irish relatives left (all either emigrated or dead; sounds a bit like Spancillhill no?), I found my relationship with the old country becoming further and further distant. However, that all changed when I met John McQuaid, the fella who wrote that letter, on the day Newcastle battered Wimbledon 4-0 at Halloween 1993.

We hit it off straightaway and he stayed at our house, subsequently introducing us to other Irish Mags, such as Declan McGrath originally of Glenamaddy, but a resident of Dublin since the 80s when he came up to College. Where I lived at the time was close to St James Park and, until my son was born in 1995, we had 2 spare bedrooms; most home games we’d end up with drunken Irish Mags crashed out all over the place. However, I’d not been back to Ireland for years, so in 1996 we booked a summer cottage out in Westport, drove over and bookended our stay with a few days in Dublin at Declan’s place in Whitehall, which is when my love affair with the League of Ireland was reignited.

At the Iveagh Grounds in Crumlin, Declan and I joined half a dozen inebriated Albion Rovers fans, to watch the side from Scotland win a game on a glorious Friday evening in late July by 2-0. It wasn’t great, but it was a start, though for St James Gate, it was an ending as they resigned from the league soon after. The next day, we had to come west along the road to Mayo and thence to a couple of nights in Sligo (just missing sunderland playing against Rovers), but we were back the following Bank Holiday Monday. Declan broke the news that there was a game to see that day; with the (now ex) wife’s blessing, me and him took off to Tolka for a friendly against Tranmere Rovers. To be perfectly honest the main reason for going was to try and catch a word with former NUFC legend Liam O’Brien at full time. We didn’t manage it (I think the game was a 1-1 draw), but I encountered for the first time the bearded, dishevelled legend that is the ubiquitous Tom. I think I’ve seen him at 80% of the League of Ireland games I’ve attended. Gesticulating wildly at the almost deserted stand, he repeatedly proclaimed if dis was Kark, all dese seats’d be taken….



As well as the football, it was a great holiday in all respects and so we decided to return in 1998; money was tight with a young bairn so I couldn’t afford to fly over on a whim, so this was my next chance to see a bit of Irish football. Astonishingly, no sooner had we booked ferries than Newcastle announced a pre-season friendly against Bohs, for the day before we travelled. However, all was not lost, as they also pencilled in a game at the Carlisle Grounds for the Friday after we arrived. As this was an NUFC game, we met in the traditional Irish Mags bar The Ha’penny Bridge Inn, before taking the DART and a few more pints in The Hibernia, then seeing Newcastle stroll to a 6-0 win, though the way the team plays now, the score could be reversed. Anyway, the next day we went west again, to Bonniconlon in Mayo for a fortnight, arriving back in Dublin on Saturday afternoon. Ironically, Declan wasn’t at home; he was over in Newcastle staying at our house and watching NUFC draw 0-0 with Charlton. It seems I ended up at the better game; leafing through The Evening Herald, I noticed more coverage of English football (especially the range of teams who had supporters clubs, from Arsenal to York it seemed), but I did see something worth watching that night, which is how I ended up at Home Farm (Everton) 0 UCD 2. This and the one at Tolka had been two games I’d been able to walk to from Declan’s place in Marino. They were to be the last games I’d see on League of Ireland grounds for almost a decade and not just because Home Farm eventually departed the senior scene in the aftermath of my trip.

That Saturday had been the day of the Omagh Bombing; a terrible event that came out of nowhere and changed things forever for people. Without wishing to compare the two events, I had life changing moments in 1999; my marriage failed, I quit my job and I moved to Bratislava in Slovakia for 2 years. Irish football was not top of my list of priorities.  Returning to Newcastle in 2001, I got myself a new job, a new home and a new partner, but it was a while until I returned; summer 2007 for Declan’s wedding to be precise. There were football games of course; in the raging unreality of the Celtic Tiger, Drogheda United were to be crowned champions in the autumn, courtesy of a goal by former NUFC junior Guy Bates, but on August 1st they hosted SP Libertas in the UEFA Cup at Dalymount Park and I took this game in with Declan and John, who continue to indulge my bizarre hobby to this day. In the Conan Doyle before kick-off, RTE news announced the death of my dad’s idol Tommy Makem; I called the old fella to break him the news and he was desperately sad. Ironically, two years later to the day, my dad died. RIP Eddy; still miss you mate.

Drogs had won the game on a glorious evening, but the weather soon turned and the Saturday saw torrential downpours, but there was a game to go to. It was a trip back to Tolka to see Shamrock Rovers draw 1-1 with Derry City. Frankly, I like all League of Ireland teams, apart from the Tallaght Corinthians and being up close and personal with their fans that night, who repeatedly sang your next queen is Camilla Parker Bowles to the Derry supporters, reinforced my opinions. What truly awful people they are, despite a lifelong Irish Mag called Chris carrying the flag for Donabate Rovers. Perhaps he’s no good at geography either.

2008 was a busy year; a trip in the summer saw me take in Bohs 2 Shams 1 at Dalier (I couldn’t believe the whole stand singing Hold Me Now after Mark Rossiter scored a sublime free kick) and Longford 2 Salthill 2, courtesy of John driving us out there. I’ve a mate from home who is Newcastle’s only Salthill fan; I even got him a jersey for his 50th in 2013, just as the club went out the league. At the end of October 08, I came back for the two FAI Cup semi-finals; St Pat’s 1 Bohs 3 on a Friday night at Richmond Park, followed by  a trip to Declan’s home turf for a night in Glenamaddy, followed by Galway 1 Derry 3. I really should get to a final one year.

With my dad dying, 2009 was a write-off, but I was back in late May 2010 to see Athlone 2 Salthill 0, on a night when the crowd was 104 (John drove us) and it showered hailstones, almost obscuring the lines. Declan, now living among the quality in Dalkey, took me to the UCD bowl to see St Pat’s win 3-1. Every spectator was given free Lynx shower gel; a quick downpour saw some of the more foolish Inchicorians attempting an al fresco wash and brush up. 2011 was an example of bad planning, with only Bray 1 Sligo 4 on the agenda, though I did manage to be privy to a conversation between Roddy Collins and Tom. It’s debatable who talked the most sense, or bollocks…

In 2012, I came over at the start of June and took in a game at Sligo; the Under 21s lost 3-1 to Italy, who included NUFC’s Davide Santon. Immediately I got home, I decided to take my son Ben over in August to see the old country; we’d arranged to fly from Newcastle to Cork, arriving on Friday tea time, giving us time to get to Turners Cross for the game against St Pat’s. Typically enough, St Pat’s were still in the Europa League qualifiers, which as you know happen almost weekly in July and August, so the game was postponed and a friendly against Blackburn Rovers pencilled in. Typically, that was moved to the Saturday night, when we’d headed up country, to watch Cork v Galway in the hurling semi-finals at Croker on the Sunday, my birthday. We lost.  On the Monday, Ben, Declan and I (John refuses to watch Shams having been employed by South Dublin Council for so long and understanding their funding) met Chris from Donabate in The Ha’penny Bridge Inn before heading to Tallaght for the game with Sligo Rovers. It was a decent 1-1 draw, but Declan saw none of it. After getting fired into the pints, he fell asleep at kick off and only woke up with about 10 minutes to go. A memorable evening, or perhaps not.

I didn’t make it over in 2013 as I had to deal with my elderly mam going into a care home and all the hassles to do with selling property, but I was back in 2014. I’d persuaded John and Declan that a trip to Wexford to see the Youths take on Shams B was what we needed to do. The lads in pink won 2-0, I got to meet Mick Wallace and share a bottle of his special red wine (no VAT obviously), while singing the praises of Clare Daly and Boyd Barrett and slagging off those chancers Joe Higgins and Paul Murphy, then we had a grand night out in some craft ale palace. I don’t think the taxi man was over enamoured by me playing the greatest hits of Pecker Dunne on my phone at 4am though. Next day, in the teeth of the worst hangover in my life, we went to Tullamore to see the GAA 4A (or was it 4B?) games; Cork beat Sligo and Galway beat Tipperary, so everyone was happy and the President was there. At full time, Declan bailed out for home, but John and I are made of sterner stuff, which is how we kept it going for the Sunday night in Dundalk, as they took Bray to pieces 4-0, when the artificial pitch was a necessity as about six inches of rain came down during the game. The highlight for me was seeing the ubiquitous Tom singing along to Three Pubs in Bohola at half time.

So; 2015. I did contemplate a trip over for June 12th, but whether that would have been Drogheda (still not been to Hunky Dorys you see) against Derry or Cabinteely versus Athlone, became immaterial as I couldn’t get over. Thankfully, late July is booked for a trip down the country, as there’s still Cork, Cobh, Limerick and Waterford to tick off my list. I’ll keep you posted.



No comments:

Post a Comment