Tuesday 12 August 2014

Tyne Times

Last Saturday, I celebrated my birthday early by heading down to Barnsley for David Peace reading from GB84, followed by a few pints with him in Old No 7 and then a trip to Oakwell for Barnsley v Crawley Town. Coincidentally, I also met the lads from West Stand Bogs and agreed to write an article for issue 6 about my day, despite the fact they didn't use the following issue for issue 5......


Having written in previous issues of West Stand Bogs about trips to Oakwell with my team Newcastle United, of the times I was at Oakwell supporting Barnsley and away trips with South Yorkshire’s finest, for this edition, I’ve decided to look at games involving Newcastle and Barnsley at St. James’ Park. As I’m a mere slip of a lad of 49, you’ll forgive me for not mentioning such results as our brace of impressive home wins 4-1 and 3-0 in November 1934 and September 1935, or Barnsley’s consecutive brace of 1-0 away successes in season-opening games in August 1936 and 1937. The latter season saw Barnsley and Newcastle finish on 36 points, with Newcastle staying up only on goal average; however that arcane system worked… It may be of some consolation to know the situation would have been unchanged using goal difference. After the war, I don’t know anything about the 4-2 home win in February 1947 or the 1-0 on 6th March 1948.

Strangely, 6th March seems to have certain significance for the two teams, as that date in 2010 was Barnsley’s most recent visit to SJP. It ended up 6-1. The ex-wife was there, but I wasn’t, preferring instead to take in the delights of Benfield 2 Jarrow Roofing 0 in the Northern League Division 1. I can remember that particular day and game quite clearly but, and this is surprising considering how the elderly memory works, there is a hole in my recollections for 6th March 1982 when Newcastle beat Barnsley 1-0 in the first league encounter in 34 years.

I remember your next visit well enough; 25th September 1982. Ahead 1-0 at the break courtesy of an Imre Varadi goal, we eventually lost 2-1 in one of the early games of Kevin Keegan’s stint as a player on Tyneside. My mate Alan had missed the game, because of the lame excuse of getting married, but we still enjoyed ourselves at his reception in the evening, especially as sunderland lost 8-0 at Watford that day.  The next season saw Newcastle United win promotion, and a desperately dour 1-0 victory courtesy of a Chris Waddle curler at the Gallowgate on a bitterly cold 2nd January was one of the results that showed we could tough it out on our way up, as well as playing pretty football.

There wasn’t any pretty football in our next encounter; a 0-0 second round first leg League Cup tie, in which Newcastle prevailed on away goals after a 1-1 at Oakwell. I missed both these games as I was away in Ireland at University then, however I was back home and in my seat in the shiny new Milburn Stand  for the 4-1 hammering we dished out in March 1990. Clad in your famous spangly yellow flashes shirt, Barnsley were blown away on a day when even Roy Aitken scored for us.

The next season, nobody scored at all in one of the worst games of football I’ve ever seen, although 17th November 1990 is definitely mainly memorable for me as I took my ex-wife to this game for our first date. It’s amazing she ever spoke to me after this one. A year later, I almost didn’t talk to her as David Currie ruined my day with a bullet header equaliser in a 1-1 draw. That weekend we’d held a housewarming party and about a dozen friends and relatives from South Yorkshire had made the trip up and were at the game. The Friday night do had been fabulous, but Saturday wasn’t quite as good after this late dampener. I had cheered up the year after though, when Keegan’s championship winning side were absolutely irresistible on a magical night in early April 1993, winning 6-0, with former Barnsley player John Beresford opening the scoring from the spot. A bloke I know, Mick, was still furious at full time as he’d have won £2k, a lot of money in those days, if it had stayed 5-0. It explained why he was the only one still in his seat, head in hands, when Kevin Brock completed the scoring.

Following Newcastle’s promotion, the next game at SJP was another League Cup tie, when Neil Redfearn’s famous long range strike gave Barnsley the lead in September 1994, only for Ruel Fox and Peter Beardsley to turn the game around and a Beardsley goal to win the second leg 1-0 at Oakwell. By the time the teams met again, it was with both Newcastle and Barnsley in the top tier; a sixth round FA Cup at St. James Park in March 1998 was one of the best and most thrilling encounters I’ve seen between the two sides, with the game only finally settled in the last few minutes when David Batty, of all people, scored a glorious late shot from distance, in off the post. In contrast, the league game at SJP a few weeks later on Easter Monday was a desperately poor affair, won by Newcastle by a 2-1 margin. Barnsley could have had a point if Arjan de Zeeuw, denied a foul, had played on and marked Shearer as he scored the winner, instead of remonstrating with the officials. Barnsley went down that season and if Newcastle hadn’t won that game, I feel we could have joined you.

Things got a little quiet after 1998. Subsequent to that one, the only other league game up here was the 6-1 in March 2010 that I’ve already referred to, but there was one other tie; a mundane 2-0 win for Newcastle in the League Cup in August 2007. I still had a season ticket in those days, despite Allardyce’s appointment, but this didn’t cover me for cup tickets. I went along on the night to pay on the door, but the queues at those turnstiles were so vast, what with it being the last week of the school holidays, I tried to dodge in with my season ticket at another entry. The season tickets we were issued with had just been switched that season from tear out slips of paper, to credit card sized bits of plastic which you swiped in with; lo and behold, the technology was so poor I was able to wander in and take my normal seat unhindered. Needless to say, I used that method subsequently for all cup games until I chucked my season ticket in 2009; it’s the natural anarchist in me I guess.


With Barnsley in their current precarious position, it seems unlikely the two sides will play each other at SJP anytime soon, unless Pardew remains in charge and we start falling through the league. However, a cup draw would be nice; if that happens, rest assured that Mike Ashley’s master plan will see Newcastle snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in any manner possible, as the very last thing he wants is a repeat of the 1910 FA Cup Final any time soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment