Saturday 7 December 2013

Middle Age Head



Je déteste mon enfance et tout ce qui reste de celui-ci - Jean Paul Sartre (Les Mots)

Being born in a stable does not make one a horse – The Duke of Wellington

It would be fair to say I have a troubled emotional relationship with Gateshead; the “dirty back alley that leads to Newcastle” (Robert Louis Stevenson), which was my place of birth and home for my formative years. While I often retell the story of how, when applying for University, my dad took me to one side and urgently suggested I investigate the courses on offer at Aberdeen or Exeter that was done more with a desire to see me make my way in the world than to get me out from under his feet. Or at least that’s what I try to tell myself. Mind I think I trumped him by ending up in County Derry, which prompts the question; just what the hell was he doing allowing me to move there in 1983? The Sunday after I arrived set the tone for my studies, as I saw huge brawls in the Student Union bar when news broke of a mass escape from the Maze by Republican Prisoners. I think the short answer is that I was a teenage twat and they were delighted to see the back of me; this was reinforced when I got home at the end of my first term to find all my punk, new wave and indie vinyl shunted into a box at the bottom of a walk-in cupboard and my bedroom walls transformed from a collection of garish, non-parallel hand-painted black and white stripes and a huge McEwan’s Lager poster of the Inverbraw Grouse Beaters to a pale floral pattern flock wallpaper. 

In the way that we all seek to rewrite our lives, my personal narrative has incorporated the detail I left home the day Peter Beardsley signed, two days after a routine 3-1 home win over Crystal Palace early in our promotion season, never to return. This, of course, isn’t true. While I did spend 5 peripatetic years studying, loafing and skinning up in Ireland, London and Leeds, I returned in late summer 1988 to start work properly, as a teacher. What I often fail to mention is that I bought my first property not in High Heaton, where I arrived in 1998 or Spital Tongues, which saw me purchase a house in 1991, but back in Felling. I was 27 when I finally left NE10 and so I’ve only been effectively away from the south side, which I’ve never call the Geordie Left Bank for obvious reasons, for considerably less than half my life.

While a refracted portrayal of the influence of my youth will probably be best served by fictional reimaginings of my formative years that will end up at http://gilipollez.wordpress.com/ I think it is beholden of me to write about my relationship with Gateshead Football Club, especially on the back of the terribly unfortunate loss to Oxford United in the FA Cup first round replay on an unspeakably cold Thursday night in early December.

When I mentioned the fact I would be writing about this to two of my dearest friends, Adrian Ragsdale and Shaun Smith, both of whom are Gateshead fans, their immediate and instinctive reaction was that they wouldn’t read this blog, perhaps out of fear that I’d say something harsh or callous about their club. Let me put their minds at rest straightaway; I won’t. After all, I was at Gateshead’s first ever game at the International Stadium back in 1974 when they beat East Fife 3-2 in a pre-season friendly. Back then they were known as Gateshead United, assuming that name on moving from Simonside Hall ground and consequently changing their name from South Shields, though they kept the claret and blue colours of the Mariners in those early years. Clearly I’m too young to have known anything about Redheugh Park, the Callender Brothers or being kicked out of the Football League for Peterborough in 1961. Such tales were not part of my childhood narrative either as my Dad always maintained he was much more likely to watch Newcastle Reserves when the first team were away than visit Gateshead.

I have little or no memory of that East Fife game, other than the fact it was on a Monday evening as I accompanied my dad, who had had to attend his weekly meeting of his trade union, EETPTU (no he didn’t like Frank Chappell, always describing him as “a bosses’ man”) in Dunston before we got there. I remember Dad finding us a spot just to the right of where the main stand is now, while I can only recall clambering around on the banks of loose shale behind the goal and half watching the game. Back then, aged 10, I was an avid reader of the Gateshead Post sports pages and every Thursday I would pore over match reports, learning of Gateshead’s progress in the Northern Premier League. My next visit was for an FA Cup second round tie on December 13th 1975; a bitterly cold day and a frozen pitch saw Gateshead draw 1-1 with Rochdale, only to lose the replay 3 days later. I have a dim memory of attending the International Stadium again on New Year’s Day 1976, with my dad and my Uncle John and vaguely recall the Heed, as nobody ever called them before the internet was invented, winning 2-0, but I can’t find results grids for this competition so can’t confirm that.

I also can’t recall Gateshead United going out of business in 1977, when they’d finished in 8th place as well and reforming as Gateshead, in a bizarre all red kit, for the start of the next season. Indeed, as music, literature and a particularly unsuccessful interest in women overtook football as my main obsessions for a few years, the fortunes of the team from the International Stadium didn’t cross my consciousness until late in the 1982/1983 Championship season. Working in The Greyhound in Felling Square, I headed down to see the mighty Bob Topping bag a couple of goals in a midweek game, opponents unknown, that saw the title secured on the night with a bunch of regulars, ending up in a lock-in in The Old Fold Tavern. The Tynesiders were in claret and blue that night, but by the next time I saw them, the familiar white shirts and black shorts combination had been adopted.

My first ever Vauxhall Conference game was at Lower Mead, the former home of Wealdstone FC in April 1987, to see Gateshead trounced by the non-league double winners of the previous season, The Stones; the year before automatic promotion to the Football League was introduced. I was working in North West London at the time and living in Harrow. Two of my work mates were Steve, a QPR fan and Ed, a Wealdstone supporter; when Newcastle were at home or away in an inaccessible location, the three of us would visit either Lower Mead or Loftus Road, or even Meadway where Harrow Borough played. So it was I made up 20% of the travelling Gateshead support on a day they were sounding hammered.

Another huge gap then appears; it was half a decade until I next managed a trip to see Gateshead. On the day Newcastle United lost 5-2 at Oxford, February 1st 1992, in what was Ossie Ardiles’s final game in charge, I saw a terrible 1-0 win over Barrow in the FA Trophy, courtesy of a ridiculously deflected goal. October of that year saw a visit to a midweek 3-1 win over Witton Albion as a bloke I used to correspond with in the early days of fanzine friendship was at that game for a groundhopping “tick.” To be honest though, while I was falling in love with the non-league game, Gateshead never did it for me, mainly on account of that appalling lack of intimacy or atmosphere at the International Stadium; one stand and acres of open space with nothing but gusts of wind to fill it. Consequently I confined my visits to watching Newcastle there, either when the reserves had it as their home pitch or when a pre-season friendly took place.

I did see a few games under Ian Bogie; mainly because the former boss, a lovely bloke it has to be said, was a work colleague (I was his union rep in point of fact; same as I am for Rob Blamire from Penetration, proving I’m still equally obsessed with music and football as I approach 50) and was happy to provide me with the occasional freebie. Memorable encounters included a 3-0 walloping of Kendal on Good Friday 2008, on a day so windy that both wheeled dug outs blew away down the track, like a bizarre parody of Asafa Powell breaking the 100 metres world record on the same stretch two years previous. I was also there for 2 successive play-off victories; the 2008 win over Buxton that took the team into the Conference North and the defeat of Telford a year later that brought them back into the Conference proper. I also saw both legs of the superb back to back double over Blyth Spartans on Boxing Day and New Year’s Day that season; great atmosphere, great games, great times and great to see The Tynesiders doing so well.

I must admit I was delighted to see Gateshead prosper under Bogie and was disgusted when he was shown the door as I felt it showed deep ingratitude for all he’d achieved with them; two promotions and stability in the upper half of the Conference should be success in anyone’s terms, especially a club so previous riven by financial disasters as Gateshead. This is why I was delighted when the next boss, ex Mackem Anth Smith, was shown the door as, let’s be honest about this, Gateshead are a Newcastle United leaning team. It’s not scientific, but I’d imagine that the 90% plus of Gateshead residents who follow Newcastle are probably reflected in the demographic of the active supporting element of Gateshead football club; indeed, I’m not even prepared to discuss specious arguments to the contrary.

What isn’t up for debate is that Gary Mills is doing an amazing job as Gateshead manager. Taking over a club ripe for a fiasco of a season, he’s got them almost halfway up the league and into the last 16 of the FA Trophy, with a stated aim of winning it. I hope they do. Indeed, if they get to the final I’d imagine I’ll go. That said I only got to the Oxford replay because Raga was able to pass on his ticket, being unavoidably away with work.


Having blown a 2-0 lead in injury time at the Kassam Stadium, Gateshead should not have even been playing this game. However, they were. The original replay on Wednesday 20th November had been postponed because of a waterlogged pitch and the rearranged date of Thursday 5th December allowed me to make the game. A freezing, awful night it was too; too cold for a yellow polo shirt and cashmere sweater combo, as often sported by the Absent Friends of Derek Llambias, with the Saltmeadows micro climate making it treacherous underfoot. Oxford, boasting Dave Kitson and Matt Clarke were truly awful, perhaps unsettled by news their manager Chris Wilding was in talks to take over at Portsmouth, but Gateshead, despite lovely approach play, failed to find a killer goal. Surely if Liam Hatch had been introduced sooner, one of the numerous aimless crosses would have been meat and drink for his prodigious heading skills; sadly it wasn’t to be and the referee, frozen to the marrow like the rest of us, brought things to a farcical close with the softest of penalty awards after 115 minutes.


It was tough on Gateshead, who’d hit the post and had one disallowed; they ought to have been away to Wrexham in round 2. At least the FA Trophy dream is alive. I would love to think that a proportion of the 2,632 who attended (even if many of them had shivered through the exits after 90 minutes) will return to cheer them on again. Sadly, I doubt I will, unless the mythical proposed ground on the site of the old North Durham cricket and rugby pitches becomes a reality. The worst thing about Gateshead Football Club, as ever, is the desolate wind tunnel that is the ground. The club is a jewel in the Geordie football crown and I wish them all the very best.

No comments:

Post a Comment