Saturday 13 July 2013

S.T.I.*

On Saturday 13th July 2013, I won't be at a game. Considering in 2012/2013, I only missed seeing football on August 11th (my birthday and I was at Cork v Galway in the All Ireland hurling semi final) and May 12th (UCU IBL inaugural conference in Manchester), this is a surprising announcement. Except it's not; I'm going to carry the UCU northern region banner at The Big Meeting and attend a much smaller meeting of SPGB members and supporters, then hit the beer tent. In all seriousness, the time has come to make a stand; the situation in this country and this whole rotten capitalist system need to be confronted. The revolution has to start somewhere and today my as well be that point as any. However, pre season friendlies go ahead all over, especially the South Tyneside Summer Cup, a 6 team tournament at Hebburn Town. Here are a couple of short pieces I've written for the programme today -:


Hebburn Reyrolle F.C.
As a result of my club Heaton Stannington’s retention of the Northern Alliance Premier Division title, the club has been promoted to Northern League Division 2, which when combined with the usual resignations and renamings that go on each close season, means that the Alliance has accepted 5 new teams for 2013/2014. Alongside Newbiggin and West Allotment Reserves, other new faces include the returning Chopwell, a Gateshead Leam Rangers side that will be of a supposed parallel standard to their Wearside League outfit and Whitburn Athletic (the one near Souter Point, not the one halfway between Glasgow and Edinburgh).

While in the past there have been such seemingly anomalous members of the Alliance such as the East 
Durham trio Peterlee Newtown, Murton and Easington Colliery, these latter 3 neophytic outfits s that are joining Swalwell in Division 2, alongside Birtley St. Joseph’s and Gateshead Redheugh 1957 in Division 1, will combine with Gateshead Rutherford and Hebburn Reyrolle in creating the largest presence of clubs in the South Tyneside and Gateshead area in recent memory.  However, it must be acknowledged that both Rutherford and Reyrolle hung on to their Premier Division status in somewhat fortuitous circumstances; finishing well adrift from the rest in the bottom two places, the duo were spared the ignominy of relegation because of the resignations of both Amble united and Harraby Catholic Club.

Hebburn Reyrolle are a club with a proud history as they were formed as long ago as 1923, originally going under the name of Reyrolle Staff F.C. The club played their football mainly in the North East Amateur League until they were accepted in to the Northern Football Alliance in 1992, where the 3 three seasons have been of particular interest.

Having won the 2010 Stan Seymour League Cup Final by defeating Heddon 3-1, but losing to Percy Main in the same season’s Combination Cup Final, Reyrolle set the bar even higher during the 2010/11 season, when they completed a historic treble under the management of Mark Collingwood and his assistant Simon Johnson as they won the Division One Title, The Combination Cup and The Durham County Trophy. In 2011/2012, they retained the Durham Trophy when they defeated Coundon & Leaholme after extra time.  Were it not for a crucial home defeat by Percy Main on May Day 2012, Reyrolle could well have pipped Heaton Stannington to the Premier Division title; such glory seemed far away during the campaign just ended.


In fairness, 2012/2013’s disastrous season for Reyrolle did include some excellent results, including thrashing Percy Main Amateurs 4-1, and it was a campaign made exceedingly difficult by the decampment of manager Mark Collingwood and many of his players to Seaham Red Star. It is indeed a tribute to Reyrolle that they showed such stoicism in the face of adversity and made it through to the end of the season, from which time they’ve managed to regroup. This season will see the club under the stewardship of newly installed manager Aiden Finnigan, who is the father of former Newcastle United reserve and current striker for Dundee Carl Finnigan and hopes are high of a Reyrolle renaissance.


Free Ticket Mag

I have a real problem with individual sports; the arrogance, monomania and narcissism of the preening solo superstar, whether they are Tom Daley, Jensen Button or Chris Hoy, both grates and nauseates. Highest on my list of sporting hates is anything involving motorised vehicles, horses or above all, for ideological reasons, golf. Back in the good old days pre Glasnost and Perestroika, those countries lucky enough to be part of the Warsaw Pact banned the existence of golf courses on account of the shameful waste of good farming land occasioned by the maintenance of greens and fairways; a decision I was in total agreement with. Even worse than individual sports are the shameful ways those gaggles of rampant egotists are herded together by some fake collectivist ideal; Team GB, the Ryder Cup and, least convincingly, the Davis Cup doubles. The individual sportsman loves only himself and his bank account; not his team.

However, please allow me to be a hypocrite; despite a trip to a gloriously sun-drenched Jesmond for day 1 of Northumberland (461-9 dec) v Bedfordshire (97-2) preventing me from watching Andy Murray’s triumph at Wimbledon (or Wmbldn as Harry Carpenter insisted on calling it), I welcome his victory, solely because he is a supporter of Scotland’s greatest football team; Hibernian. For that we can forgive him anything, though I’m still struggling to forgive Hibs for losing 3-0 in the Scotch Cup Final to Celtic at the end of May. I attended this game, my debut appearance at the wonderful Hampden Park, and enjoyed myself despite the score. That said, I would struggle to say the game offered value for money at a cost of £35 for a ticket. Indeed, I came away from Mount Florida firmly resolved that I would do all I could to ensure I will not pay a penny piece to watch a game of football in 2013/2014. Hence you’ll excuse me for not attending this tournament.

Last season I attended 14 Newcastle games; all the Sunday Premier League games and the Europa League home games, only enjoying 2 of them; Bordeaux and Southampton. This cost me around £300. While I managed to watch Northern Alliance games with my former club Percy Main Amateurs without having to pay to view, those in the Northern League cost between £4 and £6 per match; it adds up after 60 games a season. Thankfully, following my big money transfer to Heaton Stannington, I will be able to watch The Stan’s games for nothing, and I fully intend to see every competitive game we play, but my other attendances may be limited. So far I’ve taken in Whickham 7 Benfield 0 and Chemfica 1 Whickham 1; both free to watch, both very enjoyable and both pointing the way forward in these straitened economic times.



*S.T.I. = South Tyneside Invective

No comments:

Post a Comment