Monday 1 July 2013

In My Own Write

One of the biggest ironies about my big money transfer to Heaton Stannington is that my first book "Village Voice," the story of Percy Main's 2009/2010 season has just been published in iBook & Kindle formats, by those awfully nice people at Zapa Books (http://www.zapaebooks.com/noticias/29/village-voice-now-available-at-the-ibookstore-and-on-kindle/). Proofreading it before publication I was struck by two things; firstly I couldn't differentiate between "into" and "in to" and secondly, it wasn't a bad read at all.

Punchdrunk and delirious in pre publication frenzy, my commissioning editor at Zapa suggested that we could do a free ebook of this blog at some point. Post publication, he's gone very quiet about this, though I will have a chance to quiz him about in when he arrives on Tyneside for his annual visit this week. Taking his words of encouragement seriuously, I penned this introduction, which I'd like to share with you now -:





My life involves a number of interests that can easily be regarded as verging on obsessions; football (primarily Newcastle United, but also all levels of the professional and especially the amateur game as a volunteer, spectator, supporter and alleged player), music (from angular, uncompromising post-punk to enduringly, classic and seemingly mainly Scottish, guitar based indie to folk and folk rock, both Irish and English), Ireland (the history, culture, politics, music, sport and indeed every aspect of life in the entire 32 counties), literature and books in general (from Cormac McCarthy to William Butler Yeats and all points in between), not to mention Real Ale and ultra-left wing politics, though the commissioning editor for this volume would prefer I described myself as a cynical, petit-bourgeois, quasi-Stalinist, dilettante rather than a Marxist. These interests coalesce and combine when I willingly succumb to the primary, motivating urge in my life; the need to write. This need is beyond the intellectual; it is primal and something I find myself uncontrollably drawn towards and driven by. Every single day, there are thoughts, phrases, concepts and ideas I simply have to explore and exploit by writing them down.

This urge isn’t new. From the early 1980s onwards, I wrote poetry, lyrics, short fiction, as well as reviews, interviews and opinion pieces on music and football for an immense range of publications that ranged from national newspapers and magazines, to long forgotten fanzines than lasted barely a tomato season, let alone a football one. As I approached my mid-30s at the turn of the Millennium, several things occurred to me; firstly, the internet had caused an incredible contraction in the number of printed titles where I could have my work published. Basically, why would anyone choose to pay to read someone else’s opinions when they could publish their own in seconds? In practical terms, this technological revolution meant I found myself mainly writing for Newcastle United fanzines The Mag, from 1989-2004, and Toon Talk (formerly Players Inc), from 2005 to the present, as well as the Percy Main Amateurs match programme from 2007 to 2013. Currently, I am about to embark on an exciting (for me at least) new venture as editor for the Heaton Stannington programme for the 2013/2014 season; it may not be brilliantly designed, but all the apostrophes will be in the correct places.

Secondly, and thankfully I was completely wrong in this, the music scene appeared to have begun a slow death. For a number of years, I still listened to and watched live music, without ever imagining I’d write about it again; happily, I am rediscovering the pleasure of turning sounds in to words. Thirdly, my talent for writing fiction had deserted me; like Wendy scanning the night skies for Peter Pan, I fruitlessly hoped it would return. Sadly, it hasn’t in any meaningful way, though 2013 has seen 5 of my poems and one short story published in issues 2, 3 and 4 of the brilliant new literary fanzine Push. Rather like the continued existence of niche markets such as Real Ale and vinyl records, small bands of devoted followers are keeping a range of new and established fanzines going, with every sign of a grassroots renaissance in the offing, proving those who announced the death of the printed word to be far from accurate. I have also been commissioned to write pieces for the new Barnsley fanzine West Stand Bogs and the long established Wigan Athletic publication Mudhutter, showing that the fanzine renaissance is palpable; the best examples being the general zine Stand AMF, where I’ve seen my work appear and FC United of Manchester’s A Fine Lung, which sets the bar for all other fanzines in the quality of its writing.

However, the internet has proved to be the ultimate punk rock tool for writers everywhere; in the blogosphere it’s always late 1976, as everyone, regardless of their ability or lack of it, is as valid a voice as anyone else when it comes to publishing on line. This has been the case for quite a while; the platforms for publication have just become a little more sophisticated. Back, in 2002, I discovered the possibilities afforded by domestic broadband internet for the first time, which almost immediately resulted in my writing striking out in a whole new direction. Exploiting the speed and reliability of my connection, I became involved in a baffling array of on-line communities, signing up with new ones, seemingly on a daily basis, as my interests caused me to range around the web. These “messageboards,” especially those dedicated to particular bands, introduced me to the concept of writing briefer, more personalised, generally succinct and highly opinionated review and comment pieces, but for  far more informed and interested audiences than the general readership of those magazines I’d written for in the past. Aesthetically, the on-line results weren’t as pleasing as seeing your name on a glossy A4 double-page spread in a quality publication available in WH Smiths up and down the country, but the feedback was potentially immediate, mainly genuine and unfailingly honest. Crucially, it was, and is, also interactive. Through the on-line forums of Teenage Fanclub, The Wedding Present, Christy Moore and Fairport Convention, I’ve made virtual and real friendships with cyber penpals from around the world, enjoying pre and post gig beers with many of them. This is the nature of friendship in the contemporary world and I’ve mainly had positive experiences of it.

However, this new world of music mates mailing you compilation CDs and putting you on the guest list in Bristol or Leeds wasn’t uniformly pleasant; The Fall’s messageboard was the virtual equivalent of a belligerent taxi queue on Christmas Eve, where bile, vitriol and personal abuse seemed to be not only tolerated, but compulsory. Sadly, that level of profane invective appears to be the rule rather than the exception with most football boards. Indeed my club Newcastle United has one messageboard, which I’ll not name, that spews all manner of unchecked hate speak 24/7, where new participants endure a kind of ultra-Darwinian initiation ceremony, involving abuse, scorn and incessant ridicule that must skirt the borders of illegality. No doubt our rivals Sunderland have the same kind of vile sub-culture; indeed, I’d imagine such a depressing scenario is repeated at every football club, as it seems only general non-league forums, typical of the more civilised nature of the grassroots game, attract reasoned debate, despite the preponderance of groundhoppers, who tend to muddy the waters in that particular gene pool. Worse still are the soi-disant football Brains Trust egoists  that frequent the on-line sections of broadsheet papers and supposed independent football monthlies, where Polyversity Media Studies and Sociology drop outs assume dominant roles in a self-elected, self-perpetuating cyber Republique des Lettres and make smug, shallow, unfailingly inaccurate pronouncements about every aspect of a sport they never bother going to see. Certainly their activities have turned me right against Huddersfield and Ipswich Town over the last few years.

My life has been marked by a series of milestones, the dates of which I still remember; 1st January 1973 saw my first trip to St. James’ Park, while 24th December 1976 was the first time I heard (I Belong to the) Blank Generation by Richard Hell and the Void-Oids. Perhaps one of the most liberating dates in my life was 24th February 2007 when I made my final contribution to a football messageboard, after I’d involved myself in a particularly mindless, internecine debate on the quality of Glenn Roeder’s stewardship of Newcastle United. What particularly irked me about attempting to discuss football on with ill-informed, faceless, abusive trolls was not the fact that followers of the same team could end up as implacable on-line enemies, whereby inflammatory rhetoric, vile threats and deeply wounding personal accusations would be the order of the day, all day, every day, but the paucity of actual, stimulating intellectual debate. Nowhere more is the truism that some people prefer simple lies to the complicated truth more evident than on the internet. I found the whole experience infuriating and dispiriting by turns and decided not to waste any more of my time on it. Unsurprisingly, my writing has changed, deepened and, dare I say, improved immeasurably since that point. Consequently, I disowned everything I posted on-line, as well as everything I wrote for one particular publication between 1999 and 2006 and then concentrated my efforts on focussing my creative urge in to becoming a proper writer.

Also, in 2007, I became involved with Percy Main Amateurs football club, initially as a programme contributor, then in the role I’ve recently vacated for the Heaton Stannington programme job, of Assistant Secretary. This set in action a series of events that resulted in me writing my first book Village Voice, which chronicled Percy Main’s promotion and cup winning season of 2009/2010. It’s self-published, but then again so were The Songs of Innocence and Experience and Spiral Scratch. What writing a book taught me was the need for discipline and rigorous self-criticism, when embarking on a writing project that extended over a longer period of time.

My writing, as far as it has changed over the years, has gone from the broad-brush, sweeping generalisations and vehement denouncements of my 20s, to a style that is hopefully more nuanced, consisting of a detailed exploration of the minutiae of any debate. Often, I start writing about a particular issue without knowing what I fully think or believe to be “the truth,” which can only emerge after upwards of 4,000 words and a week’s intellectual wrangling, relentless rewriting and ruthless editing. It may be pushing things to call my preferred prose style Socratic Dialogue, but I find this kind of on-going debate to the most effective way of communicating my ideas. My relationship with writing involves considerable amounts of reflection on events that matter to me, whether they are sporting, cultural or political, and to fill the void created when I completed Village Voice in June 2010, I began the Payaso de Mierda blog, almost by accident, as a way of recording my responses to the world around me.

If anyone asks me to name the worst thing about modern football, I’d unhesitatingly say referee Howard Webb. Born and brought up in Rotherham, in the heart of Yorkshire mining country, Webb was a month short of his 13th birthday when the Battle of Orgreave took place; no doubt influenced by those images, he later joined the South Yorkshire Police, whose culpability in the 1989 Hillsborough disaster continues to emerge, rising to the rank of sergeant. His nonsensical decision to disallow a perfectly valid headed goal by Mark Viduka against Fulham in May 2009 contributed to Newcastle United’s relegation, but that is a minor (‘scuse the pun) transgression when compared to those listed in the sentence before. In July 2010, my cousin John (whose idea this book was) and I were in the centre of Vitoria-Gasteiz in the Basque Country; a slightly surreal, though undeniably idyllic location from which to watch Spain win the World Cup final on a giant screen. Webb was the referee that night and his abject performance caused many a member of the surprisingly partisan (if not patriotic) crowd to relentlessly berate his decisions, often using the phrase Payaso de Mierda. The literal English translation of Payaso de Mierda is shitty clown, which appealed to me instantly, mainly because of the lack of cultural significance or even any real meaning in English, and was the only viable title for the blog that I established, at John’s suggestion, on my return home. Ironically, my first article was about a trip to see Linlithgow Rose v Musselburgh Athletic in the East of Scotland Cup Final at Bathgate Thistle’s Creamery Park.

Since July 2010, I’ve posted over 170 articles on Payaso de Mierda on subjects as diverse as:  football, music, Ireland, literature and books in general, not to mention Real Ale and ultra-left wing politics. While about a quarter of the posts are articles that were written for or occasionally commissioned by other publications, the pattern I sought to establish from the outset was a regular, ideally weekly, lengthy comment piece on one of my major obsessions, related both to current events and what I’d been doing with my leisure time. Basically, Payaso de Mierda is both a recycling bin to store and a soap box from which to proclaim my opinions.

From my reading of other Blogs, predominantly about football, a major, repeated flaw seemed to be the predictable opinions, mundane style and discernible lack of editorial and quality control; people (I hesitate to say writers) seem to upload their thoughts without bothering to afford any article even the most cursory proofread it in most instances, which I think is both lazy and arrogant. However, even worse, it pays no respect to the audience, for surely if you publish something, your expectation is that somebody is going to read it and, ideally, respond in some way. While there are some great Newcastle United blogs such as Leazes Terrace, The Shite Seats and the brilliantly iconoclastic tt9m, the vast majority were cursed with appalling grammatical errors, but also many missed opportunities to elaborate on interesting points, or to eliminate potential ambiguities, which is real bugbear of mine. I always pride myself on the length of time it takes me to write my blog; a tortuous process of thinking (generally while cycling), note taking and making (often in bed), writing, editing and constant revision is my method. It seems to work, I may modestly say. Weekly posts are announced on Twitter (https://twitter.com/PayasoDeMierda) and, much to my immense personal gratitude, the feedback I receive is generally positive. However, I value negative comments as well, as only through constructive criticism can I improve. Mind, I know that even if my posts remained unread, I would still write; the creative urge will never go away.

So, here is a volume of my selected works, organised in thematic rather than strictly chronological terms. While being aware that the amorphous nature of many of the pieces means that boundaries may blur, I’ve grouped them around the subjects of Newcastle United, Ireland, music and football in general. Looking back on these pieces now, all of which I’ve provided a contextualising introductory paragraph for, it strikes me that I haven’t always got things right. If you’ll forgive me the indulgence of proofreading them for grammatical and factual errors, as well as a nervous sweep for anything vaguely libellous or just plain cruel, I’ve not materially changed anything in the text, as I felt the integrity of each piece would be better served by remaining in the form it was published. Every one of these pieces was created at a particular point in time and reflects my thinking at the moment of publication. While temporal distance has provided experience and perspective, to incorporate revised thinking would be to negate the creative urge that brought the articles in to being. Obviously, I’m aware this means I’ve included points and opinions which are inaccurate, poorly expressed, deliberately provocative, mad or just plain wrong; I’ll leave it up to you to work out which bits these are.

If you’d like to keep up to date with the blog, the address is http://payaso-del-mierda.blogspot.co.uk/ while my Twitter contact is https://twitter.com/PayasoDeMierda and I can be contacted by email at iancusack@blueyonder.co.uk Hope to hear from you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment