Tuesday 12 March 2013

Hebburn Up Here

My very good friend Andy Hudson is Hebburn Town's Minister for Propaganda. As we speak, he's in Spain on holiday. This presented a problem with his column in the match day programme v Ashington on March 12th. Luckily it was a case of cometh the hour; cometh the man. Here's my column, which amazingly doesn't mention a terribly unfunny alternative comedy or the Protestant Conservative Club..... If you fancy seeing the whole programme, it can be downloaded from here -:

http://issuu.com/nenadsuperzmaj/docs/hebburn-ashington-march2013



In the absence of Andy Hudson, I’m delighted to have been afforded the chance to pen a few words for the programme, especially as this evening’s opponents Ashington are the side I first followed when I was bitten by the Northern League bug. I’m at the game this evening, so if you’d like your copy autographed, don’t be shy; I do carry a pen! My interest in non-league football was sparked in the mid-90s, partly by a growing revulsion with the Premier League and partly by reading Harry Pearson’s magnificent book about football in the north east, The Far Cornerwhich inspired me to complete my Northern League “set” in double quick time. The first game I saw at Hebburn was a 2-0 defeat by South Shields on 7 October 1995; I trust I won’t bring such bad luck tonight, especially as the last game I saw involving the Hornets was the 5-0 loss at Whitley Bay, which I spent in the company of a certain Harry Pearson.


This evening’s game will be my 38th Northern League encounter of the season; not a bad total, considering I’ve also seen Newcastle a dozen times, as well as a couple of Scottish fixtures with my absent friend Mr. Hudson. However, my real love is the Northern Alliance and, in particular, my club Percy Main Amateurs. I’ll be back here on Saturday 23rd when we play Hebburn Reyrolle who, after coming so close to winning the title last season, are having a tough time of it at the foot of the table, along with the other side from south of the Tyne, Rutherford from Lobley Hill. At the top of the table, Heaton Stannington have signalled their desire to move up to the Northern League, but they are facing a tough battle for the Championship with the likes of Amble United and Carlisle City. As for Percy Main, we’re resolutely mid table and loving the atmosphere of our Step 7 Heaven.  Come and visit us some time; www.percymainafc.co.uk

It seems hard to believe it is 5 years since Ashington vacated their wonderful old Portland Park ground. I fell in love with the place when I first visited for a 5-2 win over Shotton Comrades on 15 January 1996. Until 2004, when geographical and personal circumstances meant I transferred my Northern League affections to Benfield, I wrote for Ashington’s legendary fanzine Pit Pony Express, held a season ticket, was a spectacularly unsuccessful Commercial Manager and exhorted the Collier Choir to chant in Slovak at games  (it’s a long story). All the best to both sides.


Sršne a Banici do toho!! 




No comments:

Post a Comment