Monday 23 March 2020

Restricted View

Some things you just can't be allowed to see.....


There can scarcely be a better feeling of optimism and positivity in the world than that frisson of both anticipation and excitement engendered by the arrival of each New Year. The sentiments are certainly deepened for followers of football, when the vagaries of the fixture list throw up 5 straight home games for your team, including the promise of two magical cup nights under a twinkling frosty sky, augmented by the warm, soothing glow of floodlights, as well as a pair of local derbies with your closest sporting rivals to boot. Or, at least, that should be the case, rather than the desperate, disproportionate and unnecessary state of affairs that either sends you to other grounds to watch games you’re only half interested in, or keeps you in the house; vainly attempting to profess interest in a televised contest you couldn’t care less about (what the hell is a Carabou anyway?), while hammering the phone battery, trying to gain updates on your first and only love’s progress from WhatsApp and Twitter.

A lot of things have happened since issue #13 hit the streets in mid-November, on the day East Hull were routed and I enjoyed the cerebral delights of Dumbarton 1 Falkirk 1; The Sons against The Bairns, when the travelling support barked and howled at their club’s hierarchy, like rabid wolves on a bad acid trip. If you recall reading that issue, my piece was about the unpleasant experience of being forced to resign from my cherished positions of programme editor and committee member at my beloved Newcastle Benfield FC, because of anti-racist comments I’d made in an article in our programme for a 2-2 draw with Guisborough Town in late September and which I still stand by. I quit my position on October 1st. A month after stepping down, we were due to host Guisborough again, but this time in the FA Vase. In the end, at the request of our acting club chair, of whom more later, I  graciously did not attend this game, preferring to watch the intermittent floodlit semaphore at North Ferriby that seemed to take precedence over the straightforward home win over Swallownest. Of course, I still had one eye on updates coming through on my phone from Sam Smith’s Park.

That day, Benfield demolished Guisborough 4-0 to progress to the next round and I had a blinding day at Ferriby. Consequently, I didn’t feel too bad about missing my team’s game as, about once a month on average, I head up to Scotland to take in a new ground, in my hope of ticking off all 42 league clubs north of the Border. I suppose I’m in a bit of a hurry to get them all done before Jeanette Mugabe erects armed custom posts to repel English refugees from the post Brexit Armageddon that’s arriving like a jail on wheels. As well as Dumbarton, I’ve been to Stirling Albion this season and have both Alloa Athletic and Airdrieonians in my sights before this publication reaches its intended audience, with a trip to Dundee a little further down the road.

Back to Benfield where, Guisborough aside, the nature of my supporting life began to take on the shape of a new normal. During October and November, I attended home games at Sam Smith’s Park against Northallerton Town, Bedlington Terriers and Thornaby, all of which were wins, as well as a comprehensive loss to Northern League title contenders Stockton Town on November 20th that, as it stands, appears destined to be my last visit of the season to the place I fell in love with my beloved club. I also attended our away game at Ryhope CW, which I mentioned in the last issue, missed the trip to North Shields to watch Stirling Albion in the Scottish Cup and went on the coach to Ellesmere Port, paying my full whack as I’m no longer a committee member, to our FA Vase game against Vauxhall Motors. The whole day was a disaster; we lost 2-0 without having a shot on target, saw 2 players red carded for mindless and unnecessary fouls, then crawled home with only a substantial craft ale carry out for company. Probably the last thing I did for my club was during our comfort stop at Hartshead Services, when I bought a cup of tea and a pack of ginger snaps for Johnny “Tourettes” Innes, Benfield’s octogenarian half time bait commis chef and the bloke with the most creative approach to swearing I’ve ever met. Honestly, he’s one of the best characters in the grassroots game on Tyneside; an absolute hero. It was the best £5 I could possibly have spent. I’d have got Johnny a three course meal if I’d known what was in the post.

On the Tuesday after, without any warning or indication there was anything in the air on the Saturday, I received a lengthy Twitter DM, effectively stating I was no longer allowed to attend home games, because of complaints made against me by certain of the new committee members, suggesting that I had brought the club into disrepute with some of the political statements I’d made on social media and in real life. You’ll be aware there was a General Election last year. You’ll presumably be aware that politically I am at the extreme left of any axis of opinion on each and every subject you care to mention. You’ll sadly be aware that vast swathes of voters in the former Labour heartlands have defected to the extreme right, with disastrous electoral consequences for us all. While Newcastle East and Wallsend returned Nick Brown as MP for the tenth election in a row, since he first stood in 1983, there is still a significant groundswell of angry, bitter, working class voters in the constituency who embrace and espouse authoritarian populist positions on topics such as militarism, Islam and Brexit. Inevitably, I sharply diverge in an ideological sense from all populist positions on this and many other topics, from immigration to Irish reunification. The worst part about the current level of public debate is the fact that people holding what I consider to be reactionary ideals not only disagree with me, but seek to deny my right to express any political opinions that they do not share. It’s a terrible state of affairs, in the whole country, not just Benfield clubhouse.

To put things in a Benfield context, as a way to explain my expulsion from the inner circle, the most important thing to note is our club’s founder and ex officio chair Jimmy Rowe tragically passed away after a short illness in early September, having closely nurtured the club for more than 30 years.  Jimmy was the most benevolent dictator any team could wish for and I’ll state two things here; firstly, he is the man I have respected the most all the time I’ve been involved with non-professional football. Secondly, he would not have given house room, much less credence, to the opinions of several of those who have been denigrating and decrying those who have been at the club far longer than they have. Especially as the points of contention are either deeply personal or rooted in the undemocratic wish to suppress opinions at variance from their own, like a miniature military dictatorship or putative police state.  This does not sit easily with someone like me who instinctively distrusts any form of authority.

The hammer blow of my banning order was tempered a day later by further detail in a follow-up DM that stated I was banned until the end of this season, but could apply in writing to be allowed to return next year, unless I caused “further disruption”  in the meantime, which would result in a life ban. Now remember, we’re talking about volunteering at a club at Level 5 in the non-league pyramid, not full-scale rioting on a Euro away trip, but at least there is a potential resolution to this. All I want is to watch my team and thankfully I still can, away from home (other than at Guisborough of course). Since the home ban was instituted, I’ve seen us win at Whickham, Seaham and Northallerton as well as drawing at Consett. Some committee members talk to me pleasantly enough, while others pointedly avoid me, not that I’m bothered to be perfectly honest.

When it comes to home games, I’ve been able to keep myself entertained at Hebburn 2 Billingham Town 4, Whitley Bay 7 Seaham 1 and West Allotment 0 Redcar Town 1, while we faced West Auckland (1-1), Hebburn (1-3) and Whitley Bay (2-1), though the Leicester v Villa League Cup semi was nowhere near as absorbing as our 8-0 drubbing of Brandon would have been. At the time of writing, I had home games left to miss, of which 7 were played before football was suspended. My initial trip to Alloa, which coincided with a rearranged home tie with North Shields, was booked when we went out of the FA Vase and our scheduled opponents Hebburn won their game. The first irony is that they’re heading to Ellesmere Port and a meeting with our conquerors, Vauxhall Motors. The second is I’m exchanging the Hornets (Hebburn) for the Wasps (Alloa). A far bigger irony was that the 4G pitch at Recreation Park was waterlogged, meaning I had to take in Stenhousemuir 2 Brechin City 2 instead.  The least said about 120 minutes of sterility at Bedlington Town 0 Rothbury 0 in the Alliance Combination Cup semi-final the better.

I should have been at Billingham Town 1 Benfield 2 on January 25th but kick off was moved to 2pm because of their dodgy floodlights, so I ended up at Ryton & Crawcrook 5 Bedlington Terriers 0 instead. On February 1st, Benfield hosted Bishop Auckland, losing 3-2 after being 2-0 up, while Laura and I were in Glasgow for a gig. In the circumstances, a diversionary outing to Hampden Park for Queen’s Park 1 Cowdenbeath 0 was most appealing and appropriate, though Chemfica Amateurs Heaton Stan A 0 in the Alliance a week later had only its proximity to my house to recommend it.

Stockton Town 4 Benfield 0 was the usual massacre, as we’ve had that score 3 years in a row now. I wish I’d been barred from that one and not the encouraging point at Guisborough the week after, while I slithered in the mud at Blue Star 1 Winlaton Vulcan 3. Leap Day saw Canadian Dave and I finally get to Alloa; a great day, even if they lost 2-0.  The first Saturday in March was also a great day; being 20% of the travelling support with Benfield to Northallerton, where we won 2-1. That was Benfield’s last game before this current emergency. The last game I saw before everything stopped was the brilliant tussle at Purvis Park, when Percy Main bested Winlaton 2-1.

With no football happening at present, we have other things to worry abput. However, my mind still strays to Newcastle Benfield on a regular basis. Things aren’t devastatingly bleak for me, but I do feel as if I’ve been treated more than unfairly. Certainly, it has made me more than a little cautious about offering my services to Benfield or any other club in the future, though I hope my cautionary tale doesn’t put anyone off getting involved with their club of choice. Also, I sincerely hope to be cheering Benfield on at home games next season.

No comments:

Post a Comment