Thursday 2 May 2019

Kurious Oranjeism



One of the things I like most about the end of each season is the way that all the issues regarding promotion and relegation are decided in such an unpredictable and seemingly haphazard way, rather than blandly occurring on the final day. I’m not just talking about the hysterical hyperbole surrounding the Liverpool and Manchester City power struggle at the top of the Premier League, but battles for supremacy further down the pyramid as well; specifically the promotion race in League One. Who on earth could have seen such a dramatic and climactic denouement occurring before kick off on Tuesday 30th April? Portsmouth, apparently revitalised after their Checkatrade Trophy success, with a seeming home banker against a Peterborough side who’d started well, but appeared to have lost momentum long before their failure to reach the play-offs became an established fact; the 3-2 away win with a brace from NUFC legend Ivan Toney came right out of left field. Kenny Jackett will be left scratching his Easter Island head about his failure to get Pompey up. Titter ye not!


Meanwhile, on the Lancashire coast, a team I’d once seen dump this season’s Northern League Champions UTS Dunston out of the preliminary round FA Cup back in September 2000, Fleetwood Town were hosting the world’s biggest club, with the stakes only marginally raised by pre match theatrics by Fleetwood boss Joey Barton’s comment that he like to send the 25,000 visiting fans home “with tears in their eyes.” Don’t get me wrong; I dislike Barton intensely and could easily file 5,000 words on why the paranoid, arrogant little twerp’s main personality problem is vanity not insanity, but the way his superb judged bon mots riled the globe’s best supporters had me giggling. Not as much as the home side’s 95th minute winner I’ll admit, but more than a gentle smirk. Possibly the only player with less moral integrity who has played for Newcastle in recent times is the appalling Lee Bowyer. He is now boss of Charlton Athletic. For some reason I’d quite like the Addicks to take the last remaining slot available through the play-offs.

Of course, the real and absolute impact of the mirthsome wins for Fleetwood and Peterborough was to confirm promotion for both Barnsley and Luton Town, without either of them being required to kick a ball. There are those who suggest gaining elevation in such circumstances is somehow a hollow, debased achievement, but having been in a similar situation in 2010 when Nottingham Forest’s inability to see off Cardiff City assured Newcastle of a top 2 finish, I can confirm that the joy is no less unconfined. At the end of the season, you finish exactly where you deserve to be, as the table can’t lie; the fruits of your labours are rewarded by and reflected in the points you accrue. Some other chasing team stumbling, face first in the dirt, in your wake is their problem, not yours.


Anyone who knows me even slightly will be familiar with my family ties to Barnsley, the home town of my son’s mother and her whole family who I’m still delighted to be on good terms with. This means I’ve more than a soft spot for the Tykes. Having first seen Newcastle play at Oakwell back in 1983 and subsequently found myself in the home end on numerous occasions between a 2-0 victory over Bristol City on New Year’s Day 1991 and a 1-0 loss to Crawley Town in August 2014, I think it’s fair to say I look upon Barnsley as my second English league side. Therefore, for many reasons, I am elated for The Tykes that they’ve gone up. However, and this may surprise you, Luton Town are the club I’m indirectly writing about here.


I’m guessing the last time I saw Luton play was March 26th 1994; they lost 1-0 at Oakwell to a 75th minute Andy Payton goal in a pretty uneventful game. The time before that was a couple of months previously when they held Newcastle to a 1-1 draw at SJP as a prelude to dumping us out the FA Cup in a replay at Kenilworth Road. My terminal estrangement from Newcastle United means I had no intention of taking in the last FA Cup meeting between the sides on Tyneside; a 3-1 home win in January 2018, when the loathsome fascist slug Stephen Yaxley Lennon got his grid all over a series of sick selfies with a load of the big-coated, small-brained, cesspool-dwelling element of our support.



In many ways, it’s no surprise that Yaxley Lennon comes from Luton which, as a place, is a microcosm of all that is wrong with England today: inadequate schools, hospitals and housing, a dearth of secure, meaningful, well-paid jobs, rocketing violent crime levels, widespread substance abuse and a lack of community cohesion that has seen pronounced tensions escalate along religious and ethnic lines over the past decade. The reason for this shameful state of affairs is obvious; Tory misrule, pure and simple, but not just following the pernicious and evil dogma of austerity, introduced after the  calamitous election of 2010, instead going back to the establishment of Thatcher’s police state in 1979. Luton has, by any measure of social deprivation, been a complete hell hole for the last 40 years or so. However, ask any football fan of a certain age what they think of Luton and they’ll express dislike bordering on revulsion that has nothing to do with plastic pitches. The reason is one man and one man only; David Evans.

From November 1984 to June 1989, Evans was the chairman of Luton Town and during his tenure, which included Millwall’s famous impromptu redecoration of much of the ground, he presided over a controversial membership-only scheme for fans under which only members were allowed to attend matches at Kenilworth Road, resulting in a de facto complete blanket ban on away supporters. This restrictive, draconian and ultimately unworkable measure inspired Thatcher and the weasel Colin Moynihan, her Minister of Sport, to try and impose it on all football fans after the Heysel Disaster. Thankfully, this foolhardy enterprise was abandoned, but only after the deaths of 96 innocent people at Hillsborough brought some of the Tories, if not Thatcher, to their senses.

Additionally, to heap further ordure on his corpse, Evans represented Welwyn Hatfield as the Conservative Member of Parliament from 1987, until he lost at the 1997 general election to Melanie Johnson. Shortly before his delightful unseating, in early March of that year, he attracted controversy over offensive remarks made during an interview with sixth-formers at Stanborough School, in which he referred to his opponent as a "single girl" (she was 42 years old at the time) with "bastard children", topping this by claiming the Birmingham Six were guilty and had "killed hundreds" before being caught, as well as vile, racist comments, such as asking how the sixth-formers would feel if their daughter was raped by "some black bastard". Obviously, the Tories did nothing to censure Evans for these sickening outbursts, but at least The Six won substantial damages from Evans in July 1998, who thereafter apologised for what he had said and promised never to repeat it; even if he still thought it.

Looking back at this situation dispassionately, it seems unthinkable for any rational person to have a soft spot for Luton Town, but I did for a couple of years from around 1973 onwards. About that time, I regarded Eric Morecambe as a real influence and a bit of a hero; a big, daft, funny bloke who was just the sort of uncle you wished you’d had, instead of the moaning shower of humourless wankers the old fella had for brothers and brothers in law. All that Bring Me Sunshine and spec wobbling carry on used to have me in fits and when I learned the Bartholomew fella was a director with The Hatters, it sealed the deal for me. Not that I remember seeing all that much of them playing football; they didn’t feature on Match of the Day and it was only when ITV decided to show The Big Match instead of our own local highlights programme Shoot that you got to see games from other regions. One of those was a fifth round FA Cup tie in February 1974; Newcastle won 3-0 at West Brom, but that was on MotD and the Mackems were already out, so we got Brian Moore on the mic from Kenilworth Road for a rare treat. Luton were banjoed 4-0 by Leicester and Uncle Eric didn’t get interviewed afterwards. However, the glorious, bright orange of the home shirts stood out amid the Keith Weller inspired carnage on the pitch. Impressive or what?

Lighter than the dull, aoristic hues of the old gold worn by Wolves and Southport and brighter than the queasy vivacity of tangerine tops worn by Blackpool and Dundee United, this orange was as sparkly and 70s as Spangles and Opal Fruits. From then on, I furtively roared The Hatters on to promotion, courtesy of following their progress in the paper and on Sports Report, rather than the more geographically adjacent Middlesbrough or Carlisle, who were the first and third sides in the second division success sandwich with runners-up Luton. As a sensitive 9 year old, I must state this didn’t make up for Newcastle having their arses handed to them at Wembley in the FA Cup final when Liverpool twatted us 3-0 and I spent hours afterwards sobbing on the back step.

Replica shirts may no longer have the degree of ubiquity afforded them in the late 90s, but they still remain a gaudy and regrettable fashion statement among countless millions of football fans, both of the match going and barstool varieties. The birth of this phenomenon may probably be traced back to the seething foment unleashed on the domestic game post Italia 90 and pre Premier League; certainly it was unheard of in my youth to see any adults, other than players, wearing a football top. Kids were different of course. There were always bairns’ sizes available.

I got my first Newcastle United kit, comprising shirt, shorts and socks, for Christmas 1972 when I was 8 years old. The socks were nylon, but the shirt and shorts were heavy duty serge cotton of the kind that absorbed water and dirt like the world’s most efficient kitchen roll. I wore it to play football and nothing else, generally returning from timeless Saturday morning 20-a-side pick-up games with mud up to my eyebrows, to get a clout and a bath in that order, while the black and white shirt steeped in a bucket of ACDO by the back door until the dirt had loosened enough for a gentle hand wash on the Wednesday, before getting it all clarty again the next weekend.

Despite the shirt fading and stretching below my knees like a 1920s flapper dress, as opposed to the poor sods whose mams had boil washed their kits down to Action Man size in their new fangled frontloading washing machines, it never crossed my mind to get another team’s shirt. Indeed, the only person I knew with one was a lad called Colin who was a year ahead of me at Falla Park Juniors. He had a Crystal Palace top; the white one with the 3 vertical thin stripes in the middle. He always wore it to play in our mass games on Heatherwell Green, but I don’t recall asking him why he liked it or how he came by it.


Then things changed rapidly in the late summer of 1974. For a start, I turned 10 and went in to top class at school, which meant I got to play for the school team; a privilege only ever afforded to final year lads. We had a new kit to strut around in as well; out in the skip had gone the old, heavy duty cotton yellow and red quarters that are the colours of Northumberland county and in came an exact replica of Birmingham City and Carlisle United’s penguin kits, provided by the dad of Deborah St Croix. Interestingly, she was the youngest person in our year, being born the day after me.  The school team looked the biz, storming past High Felling 6-3 and Low Board 7-1, though a 6-0 loss at Lingey House put us back on our heels for a bit. Still, we were proud to play for the (brand new) shirt. Mind, lovely though it was, it wasn’t the most beautiful piece of kit on show that season.

At some point in late August, I saw a photo of Luton Town’s squad; all beaming smiles beneath copper taches and bubble perms. I could have fainted when I saw their shirt; dazzlingly bright orange with a thin white stripe on the left hand side, with even thinner navy blue stripes either side of it. Orange, courtesy of Holland’s dazzling heroics at the 74 World Cup, was enjoying a renaissance and I simply fell in love with this garment. Having missed seeing this garment on sale or even in public before my August 11th birthday, I begged my parents for this shirt for Christmas, even if the schools had just gone back. They didn’t comprehend; I supported Newcastle, not Luton. Why did I want this kit? All I could say was I liked the design. Remember, in those days buying a replica kit wasn’t as easy a task as it is now. No internet. No discount football clothing outlets. Just Colin Todd Sports (I think he opened it after Derby won the title in 72, cashing in on his moderate fame, while coming from Pelton Fell just down the road, and then never darkening the doors again) in Gateshead High Street. By October half term I’d railroaded my mam into ordering it for me from the manufacturers, Admiral. All I had to do was wait until Santa had been.

Christmas Day 1974 saw me the proud recipient of my first ever Rothman’s Football Yearbook, damaging my eyesight by reading the print off the page,  Roxy Music’s Country Life LP, which I played incessantly while ruining my eyesight with the cover and, best of all, a Luton Town shirt. Every Christmas morning since I could walk unaided, we’d had a game of football on Heatherwell Green, getting ourselves hacky from head to toe in time for Christmas Dinner. This year was different; it lashed it down all day. That wouldn’t normally have prevented me going out, but it was excuse enough for the parents to keep me indoors. Naturally I sulked, but at least it meant I got to wear the Luton shirt all day.

Up close it was even more magical than in a photo; it boasted an Admiral logo on the right hand side, same as the England shirt of the period, though as an Ireland fan this didn’t impress me unduly. The differing stripes on the left hand side had been individually sewn in; in fact, they seemed welded together. In all the time I had the shirt; the seams never loosened or gave, much less unravelled. And you know what? I started to wear the shirt when I wasn’t playing football. Indeed, when it was suggested to me that Luton’s 1-0 win over Newcastle in February 1975 may have pleased me, I vigorously denied such as accusation. Love the shirt; remain indifferent to the team was my motto.


I must have worn that Luton shirt for about 2 years straight; not every day of course, but on a pretty regular basis. It never stretched, shrank, faded or ripped. The only thing that stopped me wearing it was a growth spurt that saw me going from 4 ft 11” to 5 ft 10” in about 8 months. When stopping dead aged 13, the shirt just about fitted over my head, but I wasn’t keen on wearing it like a prototype boob tube, so off it went to the rag man. In the days before charity shops, people gave away their used and unwanted clothes to an old fella with a horse and cart, who toured the estates and terraces shouting out for “rags and woollens,” generally in return for a few shovelfuls of equine shite for the roses. Daft really; I could have got a ton for it on Ebay around the turn of the century. The shirt; not the shite.

After the Luton top went the way of all the flesh, the only football strips I had were for teams I played for; royal blue Scotland style at school, garish green and red at University, then plain red for the pub team. For a decade and a half I don’t recall hanging a proper football kit in my wardrobe, until December 1992 that is. The in-laws celebrated Barnsley’s 1-0 win over Newcastle, on my (ex)wife’s birthday, by getting me a Hayselden-sponsored Barnsley shirt for Christmas and I loved it from first sight. But the adventures of that strip may yet be another story…





No comments:

Post a Comment