Thursday 12 June 2014

An Interview with David Peace and Harry Pearson

Very soon, issue #8 of Stand fanzine will be available from this link; http://www.distantecho.co.uk/t/stand-amf-fanzine Having read it, I think it is a superbly informative publication. I'm delighted to having this article in there, with enormous gratitude to both David and Harry for sparing their time and providing such excellent answers....


On Tuesday 25th March, Huddersfield Town drew 2-2 with Middlesbrough, to leave the teams in 16th and 15th positions respectively in The Championship, as we must now call it. The crowd that night was, improbably enough, 11,999; two men who weren’t in attendance were David Peace, author of such football themed literature as the exploration of Brian Clough’s ill-starred tenure at Elland Road, The Damned United and the passionate and detailed account of Bill Shankly’s life at Anfield and subsequent retirement, Red or Dead and writer Harry Pearson, still a regular columnist for When Saturday Comes, but particularly  feted for his wonderful book The Far Corner; subtitled “a mazy dribble through north east football.”
Despite regular trips back to his native West Yorkshire, David Peace has been mainly resident in Tokyo since 1994; consequently, his part of the interview was conducted via email. In contrast, Harry Pearson lives in the scenic Northumberland National Park, but tends not to watch Boro these days, preferring to visit either Carlisle’s Brunton Park or various local non-league games for his football fix. I took the opportunity to meet up with him at Ryton and Crawcrook Albion’s Kingsley Park ground when my team Heaton Stannington visited for a Northern League Division 2 fixture on Saturday 29th March. While my side relished the task, by winning 4-0, I asked Harry the same questions David had answered the day before.



Ian Cusack (IC): What level of interest did you have in the Huddersfield versus Boro game? Had you made a prediction to yourself in advance? Did you follow it on-line, via broadcast media or just check the score at full time? How did you reflect on this result and what it means to your club?

David Peace (DP): Well, it kicked off before 5 in the morning here in Tokyo, but I was up then, anyway, as my son was watching the United-City game. And so yes, I was also following the Town game on the live text update from the BBC website. To be honest, though, I wouldn’t have got up specially to do that. And, as always, I’d thought we were going to lose, especially after the Blackburn and Blackpool results. However, when we were winning at half-time, I was obviously then disappointed with the draw.  But while bitter experience as taught me never ever to believe Town are safe until the last whistle of the last game, it just feels like this season is already over and so I’m already hoping for better things next season. Again.

Harry Pearson (HP): Being completely honest, my interest level was limited. I was out that night and the bloke sitting next to me had an iPhone. When I saw he was checking the Premiership scores I asked him about Boro. After that he insisted on updating me every five minutes – which annoyed everybody at the dinner table, including me. Normally I’d have 5Live on (I have to have something to yell at while I’m doing the washing up – and Alan Green is hard to beat if you want irritating) or I’d look at the BBC website. If I’d made any prediction it would be that Boro would continue the rich vein of not scoring they’ve struck recently. I was oddly disappointed they found the net. Failure has an allure. As to what it means: not much really. Fans are already talking about next season, which in March is not a good sign.

IC: I know I’m testing your memory here, but how would your answer have differed if I’d asked you the previous question 30 years ago, when Boro and Huddersfield were both in Division 2 in 1983/1984 season? That was also a 2-2 draw, interestingly enough….

DP: I’ve a lot more interest now than I had then; from about 1982 until 1987, I was much, much more interested in music than football and had pretty much stopped going to any games. It wasn’t until I moved to Manchester, and was living near Maine Road, that I started going regularly to any football again and then, after seeing a lot of games at City, including them beating Town 10-bleeding-1, going back to Town again.  

HP: Probably about the same, really. When Punk happened I got really into bands and in those days music/football seemed an either/or thing. I was living in Maida Vale, then. One of my flatmates was an incredible glamorous German girl, so I spent most of my time hanging around Soho with her and various members of The Stray Cats, The Cure or whichever other hipster in eyeliner had fallen under her spell that week. For some reason I found it hard to pay attention to Joe Bolton under such circumstances.

IC: Does your answer say more about how you or how the game has changed over the past 3 decades?

DP: I think more about me, and my own circumstances, to be honest.

HP: More about me, I think. The game is the game, as Omar Little from” The Wire” might say, and our reaction to it changes with age and circumstance. At the moment I feel deeply disillusioned with the upper levels of the professional game, but as a man in his fifties that applies to quite a lot of other things, too.

IC: As supporters of provincial, second tier teams, though both with proud histories, you can view the upper echelons of the game dispassionately and, in David’s case, from a great geographical distance. How do you view the current state of English domestic football? Are you optimistic or pessimistic about the future of the game, at all levels?

DP: Not to sound like I’m sitting on the fence, or being contradictory, but a bit of both, Ian. On the one hand, and as everyone reading this knows only too well, the sheer all-pervasive dominance of the Premier and Champions Leagues, and the almost unimaginable sums of money involved, and then the sense of exclusion for everyone else, particularly on local levels, and especially for kids, either as players or supporters, means you can’t help but feel pessimistic if all you can hope and pray for is some foreign multimillionaire to come and pluck your own club out of the wilderness. But all that said, thankfully many, many folk don’t give up; over eleven thousand still watched the Town-Boro game on Tuesday night; then there is the work that people like Robert Gillan do setting up the Glenbuck Football Academy; the example of FC United; and as you well know Ian, there is still a thriving (and it seems to me) still growing fanzine culture. And so when the money runs out, and it all comes crashing down, which it will do, then the grassroots will still be there and will be ready to save the day and the game. 

HP: I've started to feel about football like I do about music - I've got my memories and I can let the young folk worry about what's going on nowadays, albeit while shouting "This sounds just like the Buzzcocks" occasionally. Top level football is now so divorced from the rest of the game they are more or less separate entities. One thing I have discovered is that I regard football as a live event. I can't be arsed to watch it on TV. It's all the stuff that surrounds football that I like - the smell, the PA playing “Sex on the Beach” in February, the angry men with bad hair howling abuse - rather than the actual game. I'd rather go and stand in the paddock at Carlisle on a rainy afternoon, than sit and watch Barcelona in the comfort of my sitting room.

IC: We have a World Cup this summer; I’m supporting Iran as DPRK didn’t make it this time round. Do you see it as a potential feast of all that is great about the game, a gross, consumerist fiasco or something in between? How do you feel about England? Will you support them? How do you think they’ll perform?

DP: Again, mixed feelings, Ian.  And also about England. I’ve only seen them three times, in their group games in Japan in 2002, and I’ve no interest in ever going to an England game again. But I still end up watching every game they play on the telly. And will do again this summer. Then again, I can’t see them hanging about in Brazil for too long. Japan might well do better.

HP: I always enjoy the World Cup. It has elements of a soap opera, and Fifa's insistence on commercializing it has turned it into a sporting equivalent of “Dynasty” (Ronaldo is Joan Collins, obviously). I support England, though in pretty much the same embittered way I support Boro. My hope is always for success, or totally humiliation.

IC: To conclude, since you both missed the obvious highlight of this season’s football calendar at Huddersfield, to make up for it; if you could attend 1 game, anywhere in the world, what would it be? Why would you pick that one?

DP: Town’s first home game of next season and I plan to be there. It’s like church on Easter Sunday, or the Durham Miners’ Gala. Dare to dream, Ian, dare to dream.

HP: Roma v Juventus in Rome. I've not been to a football in Italy since the mid-eighties and I recall those trips with great affection, especially as a man came round the curva selling brandy and coffee from a tray; imagine that in England! Also, Andrea Pirlo is one of my all-time favourite players, the Italian fans are indecently good looking and Roman life is a big performance that I like watching.

With that, the full time whistle blew and The Stan remained in 5th spot, just outside the promotion places. A cursory glance at the full times in Ryton’s clubhouse told us Huddersfield had drawn at Reading and Boro had drawn at Reading. With a warm handshake, Harry was away for the number 10 bus, with a copy of Stand  6 to read during the journey and I was away too, with the warm feeling a thumping away win always gives you. Sometimes, it is a beautiful game.

No comments:

Post a Comment