Saturday 1 June 2024

Bohemian Rhapsody


Because I’m a right sissy and didn’t fancy getting soaked to the bone on the sidelines at the Langdale Centre on Wednesday 22nd May, watching FC United of Newcastle 0 Morpeth 2, the 2023/2024 football season ended for me on Saturday 18th May at Bullocksteads in Kenton Bank Foot, watching Northern Alliance Division 1 champions Gosforth Bohemians record their only draw of the season, coming back from 3 goals down to draw 4-4 with Newcastle University A. This was my 55th game at 30 different grounds, 13 of them (including this one) being new to me. For the record they are, in order of visitation: Dens Park (Dundee), Riverside Park (Chester le Street United), Ponteland Leisure Centre (Ponteland United), Seaview (Crusaders), Fossway Rec (Walkergate), LNER Stadium (York City), Ashington High School 4G (Wallington rental), New Dundas Park (Bonnyrigg Rose), New Central Park (Kelty Hearts), New Bayview Park (East Fife), Eastwood Playing Fields (Prudhoe YC Reserves) and Greensfield, home of Alnwick Juniors (Stobswood Welfare rental).

It hadn’t been my first choice, as I’d intended to recomplete the Sistine Chapel ceiling by ticking off my final Northern Alliance ground (Bullocksteads was only hired for this game as Bohemians’ Benson Park pitch is undergoing serious remedial work), by taking in Westerhope United against Whickham Under 23s.

However, on arrival at Lemington Road Ends, it became clear that there was no game taking place at the appointed location, despite there being no information about a change of venue on the home club or Alliance websites or social media. I made a couple of calls and Whickham could not have been more helpful. Their secretary was away for the weekend, and she helpfully arranged for the manager to call me to explain the game was taking place at Newburn Leisure Centre. I really appreciated that gesture, and it was in direct contrast to the wall of silence from the home team. Westerhope were uncontactable and had not made any reference to a change of location. Oh well, I might just consider the ground ticked and not bother returning next season.

There were two plus points I could take from my wasted journey. Firstly, I ran into Sarah, a former work colleague of mine in her front garden nearby, and we had a lovely catch up. Secondly, the game at Bullocksteads kicked off at 3pm and the number 7 bus went close to their, which cheered me up as I boarded it. I got out at the very further fringe of Newbiggin Hall Estate and wandered down to Bank Foot, arriving with the game 15 minutes in and poised at 1-1. A lovely, sun-dappled day with a gentle breeze and both teams in end of term mood. I enjoyed it tremendously. The late and deserved equaliser meant I’d seen 265 goals in the 55 games I’d attended, paying a grand total of £205 for the privilege.

As far as next season goes, I’ve a burning desire to make further inroads into my 12 remaining Scottish grounds, but there is also a need to tick off the 5 Northern League grounds (Kendal, Darlington Town and Grangetown Boys Club now in addition to Boro Rangers and Hartlepool FC) that I lack. The real excitement will be discovering the new arrivals in the Northern Alliance after the AGM. Cricket ends on Saturday 21 September, but I hope to have made progress before then.

As regards writing about the game, I was published in the 10 Percy Main programmes we managed to produce and 3 issues of the magnificent View from the Allotment End fanzine for North Ferriby United. As the song goes, year after year, their number gets fewer…

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment