Wednesday 11 September 2019

Jimmy Rowe RIP



On Tuesday 2nd September, Michael Owen achieved a feat I thought impossible; he managed to make me think even less of him as a person than I already did. Without dignifying his new book, Reboot that he’s clearly seeking to sell by means of creating an unseemly  public furore surrounding the deliberately antagonistic and provocative remarks he’s made about Newcastle United as a club, the supporters and his former colleagues such as Alan Shearer within its covers, I have say I am not surprised by his thoughtless denigration of the very people who paid his £120,000 a week wages from the day he signed in August 2005 to the day he sold his helicopter to the NE Air Ambulance Service in May 2009; a four year period in which he managed the grand total of 70 games, scoring 25 goals. Frankly his arrogance, avarice and utter lack of self-awareness mean I regard him as an even bigger parasite on the club than Kieron Dyer or Marcelino, which is saying something. To me, Michael Owen embodies everything I despise about football.

On Wednesday 4th September, the football man I respected above all others in this region died. Jimmy Rowe, along with dear departed Danny Gates, formed, nurtured, grew and sustained the club I love and who I’m proud to be involved with; Newcastle Benfield.  Jimmy was a bloke whose attitude and conduct was the antithesis of Michael Owen’s, and I’m proud to have known him.

As I’ve said numerous times in articles, blogs and editorials over the years, my first visit to Benfield was in early 1995 to watch Newcastle United in a Northumberland Senior Cup tie, while my support for Benfield began in September 2003, soon after our arrival in the Northern League, when I popped down the road to watch my (then) closest NL side demolish Thornaby in an FA Vase tie and was immediately struck by a profound passion for The Lions. You may find this hard to believe, but I’m actually quite an introverted person and I spent my early seasons at Sam Smith’s, often in the company of Ben who was Andrew Grainger’s number 1 fan in those days, keeping my own counsel. I would guess that Danny Gates, lovely fella that he was, was the first person I regularly conversed with in the ground. In fact, the first conversation I can recall having with Jimmy occurred in the downstairs bar of the Labour Club on Sunday 28th December 2008, after Shay Given’s incredible heroics had proved to all be in vain as Liverpool laced Newcastle 5-1.

Jimmy was stood at the counter and beckoned me over, beginning his speech with remarks along the lines of what about that useless shower of ---- then eh? When I tentatively suggested that blame lay in the fact that Joe Kinnear wasn’t the ideal candidate for the SJP hot seat, Jimmy cut me dead, dismissing the relevance of Newcastle United. He was talking about Benfield and our entertaining 3-4 home loss to Morpeth Town the day before. At that point I learned exactly how much my club meant to Jimmy; it’s a lesson I’ve never forgotten since abandoning NUFC for Benfield in summer 2009. One of the reasons I felt able to throw off the shackles of Newcastle United was a conversation I had with Jimmy at Blue Flames on Friday 15th May 2009, in the immediate aftermath of Benfield completing the League and Cup double with a 2-0 win over Penrith. If you were there that night, you’ll remember Andy Grainger’s incredible performance and Ian Graham’s wonderful goal. It truly was a special night and when discussing how good a performance it had been with Jimmy, he invited me to the club’s end of season do at The Turbinia the next night. After I’d graciously accepted and turned to go, Jimmy called me back and said; Mind, bring your lass as well. If ever you want an example of the social inclusivity and community-orientated nature of the club that Jimmy built; this was it. Laura had only been to Sam Smith’s on about a dozen occasions, but Jimmy had remembered and insisted she come along to share in the celebrations. It was one hell of a great night as well.


 Once I came on board with the club, Jimmy was always supportive of me in the role of the programme editor. My first effort was for Andy Grainger’s testimonial in July 2014 against Darlington. When I arrived at the ground, he shook my hand and told me how much he appreciated what I’d done. From that point on, I have always been proud to know that Jimmy was in my corner. He offered sage advice that could be both blunt and oath-edged, especially regarding my hairstyle and size, but which was given honestly and with the best intentions. Certainly, during some of the difficult times I had between 2015 and 2018, I knew I could rely on his (and Dave Robson’s) unstinting support, for which I’ll be eternally grateful, though I never was sure how serious his threat to buy me a suit was…

Without Jimmy Rowe, Danny Gates and John Colley, I wouldn’t have a team to support, so if I’m being entirely selfish, they have influenced and improved my life immeasurably. However, looking at the broader picture, the east end of Newcastle as a whole has benefitted from the oak tree that is Newcastle Benfield, that grew from the acorn of The Corner House FC playing on Walker Park in the bottom division of the Alliance. Jimmy’s whole aim was for the club to push on and improve. I remember after our record league win, an 11-1 thumping of Ryhope CW in November 2016; Jimmy’s first comment at full time was stupid goal we conceded there, which was so typical of him striving for excellence. Players, spectators, coaches, helpers, staff, committee and all their families have reason to thank Jimmy, which is why I believe every game that Benfield play from this day one will be a tribute to Jimmy. We will never forget him.





No comments:

Post a Comment