Tuesday 10 October 2017

Cold Comforts

I went to see Whitley Warriors play ice hockey this week, courtesy of David Longstaff. Here's what I thought of it -:


You know it absolutely baffles me how some people have the audacity to pretend they actually like sport; especially as the only live events they ever get themselves to are Newcastle United home games. Even worse it appears that  for the overwhelming majority of such individuals, their additional consumption of televised sport consists almost exclusively of the Premier League on Sky and BT’s European coverage, either from the comfort of their sofa or perched a bar stool in the local. Such sorts are doubtless the kind of cretinous muscleheads who fondly imagine Formula 1, horse racing, snooker and darts may also be classified as sports. Pah!

My sporting affections are not up for difficult to discern; I adore NEPL cricket and Northern League football, as well as having a deep affection for hurling, with my beloved Tynemouth, Benfield and Cork the masts to which I nail my colours. However, I came to the conclusion years ago that I needed to visit other sporting events to experience what they had to offer the casual, interested but inexperienced visitor, if I wanted to describe myself as a true sport lover.  For instance, motor sport; my late Uncle Joe was a driving instructor, who once took me to Croft Aerodrome in Darlington to see saloon car racing when I was about 8. Stood on a grass hillock, I recall being bored to tears in a biting wind, waiting for the occasional vehicle to whizz past.  Never again, though I do recall loving the stock car racing at Brough Park when taken to that at around the same age, where several old wrecks drove slowly but determinedly into each other without regard for the inevitable damage that would occur, rather like American football on wheels. I really can’t see myself attending speedway there, not with the audience it attracts and as an aside, American football is my idea of hell.

Horse racing; no thanks! As someone who has never understood the appeal of gambling, I find the whole thing preposterous and morally indefensible, especially the drunken brawling and yobbishness associated with Ladies Day and the Plate Meeting at Gosforth Park, not that I’ve been. I went to Hexham in May 1987; didn’t have a bet and spent most of the day in the bar talking to John Bailey, who was currently playing for Newcastle. My other experience of racing was the Slovak Derby at Petrzalka Racecourse in 2001, where my mate Brendan put the bets on for me. I staked on the Irish horses in each race and won SKK 200, which was about £3 or 8 pints at the time. The interesting thing about horse nationality is that it wasn’t determined where the beast was born, but by the country of provenance for the frozen equine jizz exported to impregnate the mare. Best of all was after each race they played the alleged national anthem of the winning animal; it was stirring to hear Amhrán na bhFiann blasting out towards Austria and Hungary. Even better was when a British horse won and the DJ played Deutschlandlied, possibly by mistake.

As far as rugby goes, yes I support the Falcons and Ireland in union, but I’ve only been once to see it at Kingston Park. They lost 75-3 to Exeter after taking the lead, but I wouldn’t rule out going back. Same with league; while the quality of play at Magic Weekend at SJP was impressive, three games in a day, when surrounded by comatose drunks from Calderdale, is a bit much. Having seen home wins over Whitehaven and Barrow in the past, I’d happily go back to see the Thunder and felt genuinely sad they lost in the promotion play-offs by the small matter of 60-0 to Barrow. Still, there’s always next year. Incidentally, I once went to basketball when Ben had some free tickets from school; it was a Friday night in the Arena with only about 100 people present and I was bored to tears, despite the fact the Eagles won at a canter. The sheer repetition of endless baskets is overwhelming and indeed monotonous; at least in football the sheer rarity of goals makes them worth celebrating. This was just dull.

And so to ice hockey; a team sport with a proud history and strong base in the north east. Despite the best efforts of meddling Thatcherite megalomaniac Wynyard Hall to destroy the infrastructure and fan network as part of the wrongheaded Newcastle Sporting Club fiasco, the Whitley Warriors still exist and it seems an astonishing oversight on my part that I’ve never been to see them. Indeed, my only previous experience of the game was seeing Slovan Bratislava overcome Spisska Nova Ves 3-1 in the Slovak Superliga in March 2000. My abiding memories of that day were of how jolly and animated the crowd was, with particular delight being reserved for near misses; the puck hit the frame of the goal and the whole place erupted. Odd.

Anyway, Warriors manager David Longstaff, over the course of one of the very many enjoyable afternoons in the sun at Preston Avenue in the summer just gone, offered me the opportunity of a free pass to see Whitley at home and I was delighted to accept. The only question was; when? With Newcastle United seemingly a permanent fixture on Sky at 4pm on Sundays, Warriors home games at 5pm were out of the question until the international break intervened. Lithuania v England or Whitley Warriors against Telford Tigers? No contest.

On reflection, my presence at the ice rink could be seen as unique for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I don’t think anyone else in the crowd had travelled by bike to Hillheads Road and secondly I’m certain I was the only daft sod who rocked up in shorts. Bad move; if I go again two things I’ll make sure I’ve got about my person are long strides and a pair of ear plugs, as the overall experience could best be categorised as cold and loud in equal parts. The only previous times I’ve been to the ice rink have been for freelance work when I’ve been asked to review gigs; May 1989 Kylie Minogue, November 1990 Happy Mondays and in March 1992 The Jesus & Mary Chain with My Bloody Valentine and Dinosaur Jr. Certainly on the last occasion, things were very loud indeed, but I still wasn’t prepared for the sensory assault that accompanied each break in play at the ice hockey.

Having given my name at the door, bought a programme and negotiated a way through the fast food stalls, where I purchased a coffee, I then entered the arena to find a seat. Immediately Guns n Roses at maximum volume assailed my ears, as I chose an empty aisle seat, level with the goal, though sadly at the end where Whitley were twice defending as it transpired. The crowd was 950, which would be a brilliant turn out at the adjacent Whitley Bay FC. While there were several examples of unpleasant facial hair and garish outdoor wear on display among those gathered, giving hints of either a survivalist or Canuckophilic vibe, the vast majority of people were attired either in voluminous replica kits or dressed for walking the dog on a chilly afternoon. There were several faces I recognised from non-league football and a large percentage of families and young couples. All in all, it was a respectable, enthusiastic crowd who generously applauded both teams as they skated into the fray. Then, with one exception, they were upstanding for the preludial national anthem. Listen, I’ve never stood for it in my life and I’m not starting now.

The game started and, at close quarters, the grace and fluency of the players moving across the ice was almost beautiful to watch and in sharp contrast to the juddering body checks that stayed their progress; immediately I was put in mind of Rollerball without motor cycles. Knowing nothing of the tactics or rules of the game (though the programme helpfully included a glossary of what the various signals the 3 referees made actually stood for), I sensed the Warriors were playing really well. They took the lead in less than 2 minutes, resulting in Tom Hark at a volume that was in danger of shaking the ceiling tiles loose. Soon after, Telford had a player sent to the naughty step, which was a situation that continued at regular intervals all game. The referees made the signal and the announcer named the offence, but frankly I need to do some swotting up to actually understand what the fouls actually consist of.  As I mused on this, Telford were returned to their full complement, only to instantly go 2-0 down. Everything’s looking rosy until Telford quickly equalise with a pair of strikes from distance right on the buzzer that result in the home side exchanging their net minder. Harsh, but perhaps he was culpable.

The players leave the ice for 20 minutes, allowing for remedial work on the surface and the replenishing of pints and piles of food in the crowd. I took a brief walk outside, where the early autumnal gloaming was considerably warmer than the indoor microclimate, retaking my seat just in time for the start of the second period. Whitley took the lead 3-2 with a genuinely exciting exchange of passes and I found myself in accord with most of the crowd when punching the air in delight. The Warriors look totally in control, but seconds from the end of period 2, the Tigers tie it up at 3-3 and it’s a nervous second intermission for us all.

Recently I’ve been suffering quite badly with reflux, but some Gaviscon tablets seem to have sorted the problem out. Perhaps with this in mind, I threw dietary caution to the wind and risked a frankly awful mince pie. Within 5 minutes my oesophagus was burning and not with stress either. Unfortunately, my digestive discomfort is mirrored by the away team’s clinical finishing that came to the fore, enabling them to win the game in the final third; while it’s more heartbreak than heartburn for Warriors, the final score of 3-6 (including a final goal into an empty net, once a desperate Warriors have gone for all-out attack) is both deeply unfair and very respectable against a top of the table side.  They’d given their all, but were dead on their feet by the end. The crowd recognised this, by staying behind to give a generous round of applause to both sides.

Outside it’s dark, but still warmer than indoors. I rationalise that there’s no such thing as bad weather, just incorrect clothing. I’ll remember that for next time. Thanks a million to David for sorting this out for me. I am looking forward to going back.



No comments:

Post a Comment