Monday 24 June 2013

Goodbye & Hello

After 6 years involvement with Percy Main Amateurs FC, initially as a writer for the programme and since 2009 as Assistant Secretary, I've decided to move on. On the whole I've greatly enjoyed my time at Purivs Park; after all it provided me with the material for my book "Village Voice," which was the reason I set this blog up in the first place. However, I feel it is time to move on as I've been made an offer elsewhere that I really had to take up. Obviously I'd like to wish all the team, players and supporters of Percy Main all the very best for the future and I look forward to seeing them all again on my future visits to Purvis Park. Hopefully it is au revoir and not goodbye.

This blog is the bones of an article I sent to Northern Alliance Press Secretary Jon Tait, who is compiling a book for the Alliance's 125th anniversary in 2015.  I reproduce it here as a way of drawing a line under my involvement in that league. Keep checking back here for news of my next venture...





Aged 8, I attended my first Newcastle United game on January 1st 1973, when we drew 2-2 with Leicester City at St. James Park.  A month later, my second trip to the ground saw my first, numbing experience of the familiar pattern of underachievement and failure that has followed Newcastle United around like a bad smell since we last won the FA Cup in 1955, as we were knocked out of the same competition 2-0 by Luton Town; 40 years later, the wait for silverware continues, with only the capture of the 2007 Inter Toto Cup to celebrate in the intervening period. It’s fair to say I’ve often sought escape routes from following the professional game, with non-league football having provided me with a regular reality check for a good 20 years now. Initially, I watched Northern League football, without really following a team until Benfield arrived from the Alliance in 2003; I still follow them now, but from a distance mainly, as the wonderful Percy Main Amateurs were a side who captured my heart, between 2007 and 2013. For six seasons I wrote for the programme and for four mainly enjoyable years, between 2009 and 2013, I was proud to be Assistant Secretary and a member of the football committee at the club.

My first experience of the Northern Alliance was seeing my local side Heaton Stannington, who have been promoted to the Northern League and whose programme I now edit, defeat Spital Rovers from Berwick by 2-0 on a warm August afternoon in 1998. My son Ben, ex-wife and myself had just moved round the corner from the Stann’s Grounsell Park in the summer of that year and, with Newcastle playing away to Chelsea, in a match that ended 1-1 and was the final one under the managership of Kenny Dalglish, I wanted to get the bairn out of the house and hopefully to see a game.

At the age of 3 my son was already showing an interest in kicking footballs, running after them and throwing them at his daddy. To encourage this, I started to take Ben to see amateur football at a very young age, just so he’d be aware that he may well be cold, bored and disappointed by the experience of live football when he finally got to see Newcastle United in the flesh.

On August 22nd 1998, Ben certainly wasn’t cold as a glorious, still August afternoon lazily slipped past. Initially I was taken aback by how basic the spectator facilities seemed, though not by the football which was of a comparable standard to Northern League Division 2, where Heaton Stannington now find themselves. It became clear to me over the years that the Alliance is reminiscent of club rugby union of the 1970s; players playing a game they love for the sake of it are at the heart of the matter, with officials drawn very much from the ranks of former players and the odd smattering of spectators being seen as an oddity rather than an expectation. Committee members seem to be drawn from both sources, with a bad temper and an utter lack of any sense of humour or human compassion being the only prerequisites for these roles.   

On Cup Final Day 2005, while Arsenal and Manchester United played out a sterile, drab 0-0 draw, I was in the company of several groundhoppers who had travelled from Leeds, London and the West Midlands, happily taking in Seaton Burn’s comfortable 5-0 win over Sport Benfield in Alliance D2 when a league official approached and asked, with a note of incredulity that could have been mistaken as menace by those unfamiliar with the cadences of the Geordie dialect, ”what are you lot doing here?” Perhaps such attitudes and the impossibility of getting a bit of craic going with the other spectators when only a dozen people are watching the game, most of them being substitutes, injury victims and the committee initially led me to remain as an observer rather than a fan of Alliance football. On the whole, I do not regret the decision to become fully involved with one particular club, even if the senses of gratification and appreciation were non-existent.

For the casual supporters, groundhopper and football addict, the Northern Alliance provides a source of great joy in the early summer. The lack of floodlights at almost all grounds means that midweek matches between mid-September and early April are a complete non-starter. Hence, while the Northern League wraps up its fixtures by the May Day Bank Holiday, the Alliance continues on until Whit weekend. This is why my first experience of Percy Main Amateurs came with a visit to Purvis Park on May 14th 2005, to witness the visit of Heaton Stannington, who I was actually supporting, having watched them intermittently since my first visit back in August 1998. Whenever Newcastle were away or inactive, I’d watch Heaton Stannington to ensure I got to see a game each Saturday, though this was something new; an away trip!

The game finished 3-2 to Heaton Stannington and I’ve no real recollection of it, other than standing near the corner flag with Ben and admiring the scenic privet hedge that acts as a barrier between the football ground and the adjoining cricket pitch.  The two sides next met on a cold Saturday in February 2006. It was, in retrospect, a momentous day; Newcastle won 2-1 at Aston Villa, I met my partner Laura for the first time that night and, perhaps most importantly, I discovered the essential spirit of Percy Main Amateurs. The club website carries only a brief outline of the day’s events. In its entirety, the match report consists of the following statement; “by all accounts an even game with chances at both ends and a good performance by Percy Main.” To say the least, that doesn’t tell the full story.

It was a cold but clear afternoon, with temperatures pegged slightly above freezing by a biting wind and ready to decline as the shadows lengthened. With Newcastle away to Villa and Benfield at Squires Gate in Blackpool in the FA Vase, I had resigned myself not to seeing a game, but walking past Grounsell Park, I saw the goal nets were up and corner flags in place. Having purchased a cup of hot brown liquid of indeterminate provenance from the ATS garage next door to Grounsell Park, this being the sole source of sustenance available near the ground before the opening up of fashionable Italian delicatessen Dean & Daniela’s, I was ready to make up approximately 15% of the crowd for this crucial Northern Alliance Premier Division game.

The opposition was immaterial to me as I was simply thankful to be able to see a game, but the claret and blue strips of the away team immediately told me it was Percy Main I’d be watching. 2005/2006 was a rancid season for the Main; a final playing record of won 4, drawn 4, lost 26; goals conceded 94, goal difference minus 65 led to a fairly predictable last place finish. As Heaton Stann were to finish in fourth place, a comfortable home win was to be expected. In fact, this was one of only about half a dozen games I’ve ever seen fail to finish; the other non-completers have been a couple of times for fog, three times because of a deteriorating pitch in monsoon conditions and once, in an Over 40s league game I played in for my team Heaton Winstons at home to Southwick WMC because of high winds. None of those reasons applied here.

Heaton Stannington versus Percy Main Amateurs is the only game I’ve seen abandoned because of fighting. This wasn’t just a couple of players pushing and shoving, or any of the proverbial handbags, this was 21 blokes having a full-scale brawl that wouldn’t have looked out of place in a Wild West Saloon during the Goldrush or the Bigg Market taxi rank at closing time on Christmas Eve.

It was an incredible spectacle to watch; with the game goalless and only a few minutes remaining, a disputed throw-in on the touchline led to a swift and frank exchange of opinions that soon escalated in to a no-holds barred fight. Rather like those staged wrestling bouts that Kent Walton would commentate on at the end of World of Sport where half the audience at the Fairfield Hall Croydon or Wolverhampton Civic Theatre would climb through the ropes and do their best to launch a few shots at whoever was available, seemingly everyone from both clubs were windmilling, gesticulating and snarling on the touchline about 10 yards from where I stood, with no sign that it would all be over with a few handshakes and rueful smiles any time soon.

The referee and linesmen beat a tactical retreat as the melee continued unabated for several minutes. Looking on from the sidelines were about 8 spectators, which was a typical crowd for the Stann. One fella, earphones in, surveyed the damage and said “Toon are winning 2-1; Given’s saved a penalty and Babayaro’s been sent off. Mind it seems boring compared to this.” As I turned to leave, a bloke about my age who had only arrived as the fireworks were going off, turned to me and said; “football eh? Bloody hell!” The person who appropriated Sir Alex Ferguson’s immortal words following the 1999 Champions League Final was Villagers secretary Norman de Bruin. He, more than anyone else, built upon the fascination I had with Percy Main following that astonishing introduction, and is the reason why I started to write for the programme and did the best I could to help out at Purvis Park. It was a 7-2 defeat at Wark the following year that led me to take the plunge and abandon my season ticket at St. James’ Park, so I suppose you can call me a glory hunter.

Whilst being involved with Percy Main, I had the pleasure of visiting every Alliance Premier Division ground, with the notable exception of Blyth Town, as well as more than half of those in the first and second divisions, not to mention clubs who are no longer with us, like Wark, Chopwell and Newcastle East End. Win, lose or draw, I found within the Alliance a camaraderie and unity of purpose among all clubs that includes just about every single person I’ve had the pleasure of dealing with, on a casual or formal basis, to be superb company.

At times, it was very hard work being involved, especially when we were short-handed because of holidays or illness, or worse when personalities clashed as they often did at Purvis Park, but I never begrudged a minute of my time and never once received a word of thanks for anything I did; though nor did I expect any. It was just as well I had such a tolerant attitude to giving up my time, because we were talking noon until 6 on a Saturday or 4 until 10 when we played midweek at the end of the season (no floodlights you see). Until the very end, I remained 100% committed to Percy Main, as I am now to Heaton Stannington; indeed, as I approach my 50th birthday, I simply can’t envisage my life not involving my devoted obsessions of: ultra-left wing politics, cycling, Real Ale, obscure indie music at gigs where the bands outnumber the audience, writing articles for esoteric magazines and websites and, best of all, non-league football, with specific reference not just to Heaton Stannington, but to Percy Main Amateurs, whose results I will always look out for.


No comments:

Post a Comment