Wednesday 18 January 2012

A Musical Interlude



January is almost always a dull time for music; the post-Christmas lull means there are few if any gigs to go to and hardly any new releases worthy of the name. As a result, I tend to look backwards on the previous year and compile lists of my favourites. Sadly, once I discovered I’d not kept an accurate list of the gigs I’d been to, then inertia took hold. Of course I remember loving Jonny, Euros Childs, The Wedding Present, The Fall, The Buzzcocks, Roger McGuinn, Veronica Falls, Wire, British Sea Power and Trembling Bells in the flesh in 2011, but I didn’t have an accurate record of who I’d seen when, so I let things slide.

However, two snippets of news in the third week of January made me reassess my indolence; March 19th will see the release of “Valentina,” which is The Wedding Present’s long awaited 8th album (and one that I’m particularly keen on as they’ve played most of the tracks during the last 3 times I’ve seen them). The other item of news was of the final appearance of Gerry Love’s solo album, though the characteristically modest TFC bassist is calling his project Lightships and the album “Electric Cables.” Inspired by such information, I’ve gone back to last year’s purchases and made a rundown of my favourites. In addition, I promise to keep a tally of the gigs I go to in 2012, so there will be a list of them this time next year. Anyway, here are my 2012 favourites -:

1.      1.  Trembling Bells: The Constant Pageant. Alex Nielsen’s contemporary reinvention of Fairport Convention released my favourite of the year, including song of the year in the breathtaking “Just As The Rainbow.” Lavinia Blackwall’s majestic soaring voice and Mike Hastings’ expressive, authentic early 70s guitar make Trembling Bells an act to adore.  
2.  
2. 2. The Fall: Ersatz GB. The Mancunian Wilfred Bramble body double does it again with a solid-gold bile-spitting classic that is their finest in two decades. “Nate Will Not Return” and “Greenway” are up there with all-time Fall classics. God knows how he’s still alive and functioning, but it’s a blessing he is.

3.       3. Jonny: Jonny. Norman Blake from Teenage Fanclub and Euros Childs from Gorky’s Zygotic Mynky produced a low fi classic of cute C86 beauty and charming, wistful observation. Truly glorious live on the 3 times I saw them. A great little act.

4.       4. Christy Moore: Folk Tale. The fella from Kildare who worked in a bank has released a glorious, understated, eclectic collection of defiantly independent, politically charged songs. From the tragic story of the drowned Chinese cockle pickers on “Morecambe Bay” to the proud 2 fingered gesture to Mrs Windsor’s visit to Ireland in “Farmer Michael Hayes,” Christy is still the man to beat in Irish music.

5.      5.  Veronica Falls; Veronica Falls. A beautiful slab of C86 jangle-genius that I was pleased to buy from Rough Trade; “Stephen” and “Found Love In A Graveyard” could be the Shop Assistants reanimated. Lovely.

6.     6.   Wire: Red Barked Tree. What can you say? 35 years of iconoclasm and the word compromise is still outside their vocabulary. As contemporary as can be, but with nods back to “Cairs Missing” and elements of the Dome era atmospherics, “Red Barked Tree” is a stunning example of a band still as creative as ever almost 4 decades from their inception.

7.     7.   Euros Childs: Ends. It could be better than 7th; certainly “At Your Parents Place” is a heart wrenchingly tender tale of mid-life crisis and regret. Sadly, I’ve only just got round to listening to it, but I thought I would mention it.

8.      8.  British Sea Power: Valhalla Dancehall. Anthemic, eccentric and adrenalized as ever, this is a fine follow up to “Do You Like rock Music?” These are a clever bunch of lads. I like them a lot.

9.     9.   Band of Holy Joy: How To Kill A Butterfly. Jonny Brown’s latest collection of Brechtian histrionics is as charming and creative as ever. This band exists outside normal parameters; they do their thing and are seemingly indifferent to anyone else’s reactions. Fair play to them.

I also bought a couple of reissues this year -:

1.       The Wedding Present: Seamonsters. “Heather.” “Corduroy.” “Dalliance.” “Carolyn.” They are touring it this autumn. Simply can’t wait.

2.       Swell Maps: Train Out Of It. Half pub rock punk, half eerie experimentation. They were a truly original outfit. RIP to the brothers Epic Soundtracks and Nikki Sudden.

No comments:

Post a Comment